Talk:Vlad the Impaler
The Blessed Great-Martyr St. Vlad III ?!?!?!?!? WHAT???
This is stupid!!! i'm from Romania and this men is not seen like a 'Blessed Great-Martyr'. He is just a simple Voivode, not a hero. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Maraamu (talk • contribs) .
- It should be a fairly simple matter to check a Romanian ecclesiastical source to see if he's listed among the saints. Any takers? —Fr. Andrew talk contribs (THINK!) 21:10, July 26, 2009 (UTC)
- I looked on the "When Is My Nameday" site, maintained by a Cypriot Orthodox priest I believe, a site I have found to be very comprehensive in past searches, and there was no mention of Vlad III.
- Secondly, I looked on the extensive Wikipedia article on Vlad III the Impaler, and there is no mention of him there either as a martyr or saint; on his death, it reads: "Vlad Dracula was killed in battle against the Turks near the capital city of Bucharest on December 14, 1476. He was decapitated by the Turks and his head sent to Istanbul where the Sultan had it displayed on a stake as proof that the Impaler was finally dead."
- So that if there is any truth to the claim made in this article it is very obscure; it would definitwely require a Romanian ecclesiastical source to verify, as Fr. Andrew has suggested. Although I have my doubts. Cheers, Angellight 888 17:43, July 27, 2009 (UTC)
- I concur! In addition to the Wikipedia article there are a number of other history type articles on the web that only speak of "Vlad" in a secular manner. Nothing significantly religious, let alone Orthodox. Frankly, I look at this article as a cleaver vandalism. Unless someone knowledgeable out of the blue, I recommend deleting the article. Wsk 23:49, July 27, 2009 (UTC)
- By all means, check with the Romanians. I've seen icons of him, but this could easily be a fringe thing (like the similar ones of St. Nikolai Rasputin). Although it brings up an interesting problem: in case of disagreement between two Orthodox groups, one of them perhaps much smaller than the other, what is the policy? Zla'od 01:47, July 28, 2009 (UTC)