Sunday of the Forefathers
The Sunday of the Holy Forefathers is the Sunday that falls between December 11-17, the second Sunday before the Nativity. The ancestors of Christ according to the flesh are remembered on this Sunday of the Nativity Fast.
All the great Fathers and Mothers and Prophets of the Old Testament, starting with Adam, Abraham, the Righteous Sarah, Isaac and Jacob, including Holy Prophet Elias and Daniel, and concluding with Holy Prophet Zechariah (Zachary), Joachim and Anna, Holy Prophet and Forerunner John the Baptist and The Theotokos. They lived before the Law and under the Law, especially the Patriarch Abraham, to whom God said, "In thy seed shall all of the nations of the earth be blessed" (Genesis 12:3, 22:18).
Troparion (Tone 2)
- Through faith You justified the Forefathers,
- betrothing through them the Church of the gentiles.
- These saints exult in glory,
- for from their seed came forth a glorious fruit:
- She who bore You without seed.
- So by their prayers, O Christ God, have mercy on us!
Kontakion (Tone 6)
- You did not worship the graven image,
- O thrice-blessed ones,
- but armed with the immaterial Essence of God,
- you were glorified in a trial by fire.
- From the midst of unbearable flames you called on God, crying:
- Hasten, O compassionate One!
- Speedily come to our aid,
- for You are merciful and able to do as You will.