Sunday of the Fathers of the First Six Councils
m (→Other feast days: add link)
m (→External link: ro)
|Line 32:||Line 32:|
Revision as of 09:04, February 16, 2008
The Sunday of the Fathers of the First Six Councils is a feast held the Sunday falling from July 13 to 19. The Holy Fathers of the Ecumenical Councils are honored by the Church because, based upon the preaching of the Apostles, they have established one faith for the Church. Guided by the grace of the Holy Spirit and accepted by the Church, the Ecumenical Councils are the highest canonical and dogmatic authority in the Church.
Other feast days
The Fathers of the First Six Councils are also commemorated on other days of the liturgical year:
- The Fathers of the First Ecumenical Council, Nicea I, are commemorated on May 29 and also on the seventh Sunday after Pascha.
- The Fathers of the Second Ecumenical Council, Constantinople I, are commemorated on May 22.
- The Fathers of the Third Ecumenical Council, Ephesus, are commemorated on September 9.
- The Fathers of the Fourth Ecumenical Council Chalcedon, are commemorated on July 16.
- The Fathers of the Fifth Ecumenical Council, Constnatinople II, are commemorated on July 25.
- The Fathers of the Sixth Ecumenical Council, Constantinople III, are commemorated on January 23.
- You are most glorious, O Christ our God!
- You have established the Holy Fathers as lights on the earth!
- Through them you have guided us to the true faith!
- O greatly Compassionate One, glory to You!
Kontakion - Tone 8
- The Apostles' preaching and the Fathers' doctrines
- Have established one faith for the Church.
- Adorned with the robe of truth, woven from heavenly theology,
- It defines and glorifies the great mystery of Orthodoxy!