Sucevita Monastery (Bucovina, Romania)

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
m (with love from ebaums)
Line 1: Line 1:
'''Suceviţa''' is the largest and also the last built of the painted monasteries of Bucovina. It was built in 1581 by the Bishop of Rădăuţi, Gheorghe Movila. It is situated in the village of the same name in the foothills of the Carpathians west of Rădăuţi. Like all the painted monasteries, the church, dedicated to the [[Dormition]] of the [[Theotokos]], is frescoed inside and out. The monastery is surrounded by thick, fortified walls built by the Voievod Ieremiah Movila, brother of Bishop Gheorghe. Both the Movila brothers are buried at the monastery.
+
LOL INTERNET
 
+
==Frescoes==
+
The frescoes at Suceviţa are painted on a green background and are the work of two master painters, Ioan and his brother Sofronie from Suceava. The two most outstanding frescoes are the ''Ladder of Virtue'', showing the saints ascending to heaven whilst sinners (depicted as Turks) fall down to be taken by demons, and the ''Last Judgement'', which was left unfinished when its painter fell from the scaffold and died. Another painting of note is that of the ''Siege of Constantinople'', showing the degree to which this event affected the Orthodox Christians of Moldova.
+
 
+
== External links ==
+
*[http://kunsthistorie.com/galleri/index.php?album=Romania%2FSucevita%20kirke&sortby=name&order=asc Pictures Kunsthistorie.com]
+
[[Category:Monasteries]]
+
[[Category:Painted Monasteries of Bucovina]]
+
[[Category:Romanian Monasteries]]
+

Revision as of 02:33, June 10, 2008

LOL INTERNET

Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox