St Stephen Monastery (Meteora)

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
m (rv vandal)
Line 1: Line 1:
WITH LOVE FROM EBAUMS WITH LOVE FROM EBAUMS WITH LOVE FROM EBAUMS WITH LOVE FROM EBAUMS WITH LOVE FROM EBAUMS WITH LOVE FROM EBAUMS
+
{{stub}}
 +
The '''St Stephen Monastery''' or ''Agios Stefanos Monastery'' at Meteora is a female [[monastery]] in the complex of six monasteries at [[Meteora]], Greece.
 +
 
 +
==History==
 +
The original [[church]] of the monastery, dedicated to St Stefanos, was built in the sixteenth century. The church has a timbered roof and is decorated with wall paintings done in 1545 by the [[priest]] Ioannis from Stagoi.
 +
 
 +
The [[katholikon]], which is dedicated to St Haralambos, was built in 1798 and holds the skull of the [[saint]] that was given to the [[nun]]s by Prince Vladislav of Wallachia.
 +
 
 +
The monastery was built on the plain of Meteora and not on a pinnacle and was damaged and abandoned during World War II. A number of nuns took possession of the facilities and rebuilt the monastery.
 +
 
 +
==External link==
 +
*[http://www.greecetravel.com/meteora/monasteries.html Meteora: Monasteries]
 +
 
 +
[[Category:Monasteries]]
 +
[[Category:Greek Monasteries]]

Revision as of 06:57, June 10, 2008

This article or section is a stub (i.e., in need of additional material). You can help OrthodoxWiki by expanding it.

The St Stephen Monastery or Agios Stefanos Monastery at Meteora is a female monastery in the complex of six monasteries at Meteora, Greece.

History

The original church of the monastery, dedicated to St Stefanos, was built in the sixteenth century. The church has a timbered roof and is decorated with wall paintings done in 1545 by the priest Ioannis from Stagoi.

The katholikon, which is dedicated to St Haralambos, was built in 1798 and holds the skull of the saint that was given to the nuns by Prince Vladislav of Wallachia.

The monastery was built on the plain of Meteora and not on a pinnacle and was damaged and abandoned during World War II. A number of nuns took possession of the facilities and rebuilt the monastery.

External link

Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox