St Stephen Monastery (Meteora)

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
m (link, spacing)
m (with love from ebaums)
Line 1: Line 1:
{{stub}}
+
LOL INTERNET
The '''St Stephen Monastery''' or ''Agios Stefanos Monastery'' at Meteora is a female [[monastery]] in the complex of six monasteries at [[Meteora]], Greece.
+
 
+
==History==
+
The original [[church]] of the monastery, dedicated to St Stefanos, was built in the sixteenth century. The church has a timbered roof and is decorated with wall paintings done in 1545 by the [[priest]] Ioannis from Stagoi.
+
 
+
The [[katholikon]], which is dedicated to St Haralambos, was built in 1798 and holds the skull of the [[saint]] that was given to the [[nun]]s by Prince Vladislav of Wallachia.
+
 
+
The monastery was built on the plain of Meteora and not on a pinnacle and was damaged and abandoned during World War II. A number of nuns took possession of the facilities and rebuilt the monastery.
+
 
+
==External link==
+
*[http://www.greecetravel.com/meteora/monasteries.html Meteora: Monasteries]
+
 
+
[[Category:Monasteries]]
+
[[Category:Greek Monasteries]]
+

Revision as of 02:48, June 10, 2008

LOL INTERNET

Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox