St. Volodymyr's Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral (Toronto, Ontario)
St. Volodymyr's Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral is a Ukrainian Orthodox cathedral in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is located on Bathurst Street just to the east of Kensington Market. The majority of the first Ukrainian immigrants to Canada were Eastern Rite believers with only a small fraction belonging to the Eastern Orthodox faith. This changed with later waves of immigration that saw more people coming from the Orthodox east. The first Ukrainian Orthodox mass in Toronto was celebrated in 1926.1 For several years they met in rented halls and in churches of other denominations. The land on Bathurst was purchased in 1935 and work on the cathedral began in 1946 and it was completed two years later. The cathedral is in the standard Byzantine style used throughout Ukraine.
The bishops who had their Cathedral seat in Toronto include:
- His Beatitude, Metropolitan Michael, deceased;
- His Eminence, Archbishop Mykola (Nicholas), deceased;
- His Beatitude, Metropolitan Wasyly (actually resided in Winnipeg, due to the ailing health of His Beatitude Metropolitan Andrew), deceased;
- His Eminence, Archbishop Yurij (Abp. Yurij lives and serves Toronto and the East, but remains bishop of Saskatoon in name due to the Greek Metropolis (also united with Constantinople) having their headquarters in Toronto).
- 1 "The Ukrainian Community in Toronto from World War One to 1971" by Andrew Gregorovich. From: Polyphony, Summer 1984, pp. 123-126. © 1984 Multicultural History Society of Ontario
- Listing at the site of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
- "The Eastern Eparchy of the UOCC: (A Brief Historical Outline)" by Fr. Tymofiy Minenko