St. Panteleimon's Monastery (Athos)

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(initial entry)
 
(added links, ext links, monastery template, picture, spec cats)
Line 1: Line 1:
The '''St. Panteleimon’s Monastery''' is one of the twenty monasteries located on the peninsula of [[Mount Athos]] in northeastern Greece. The [[monastery]] is on southwestern side of the peninsula. The monastery has been inhabited for the past two hundreds plus years by monks of Russian origin and is referred to often as the Russian monastery. The monastery is ranked nineteen in the hierarchical order among the twenty monasteries on Mount Athos. The [[monk]]s live in a coenobitic life. The monastery feast day is that of St. Panteleimon, [[July 27]].
+
[[Image:Panteleimon Monastery.jpg|thumb|300px|right|St. Panteleimon's Monastery on Mount Athos.]]{{monastery|
 +
name=St. Panteleimon's Monastery|
 +
jurisdiction=[[Church of Russia|Russian]]|
 +
type=Male monastery|
 +
founded=11th century|
 +
superior=''unknown''|
 +
size=40-50 monks|
 +
hq=[[Mount Athos]]|
 +
language=Greek, Russian|
 +
music=[[Byzantine Chant]]|
 +
calendar=[[Julian Calendar|Julian]]|
 +
feasts=[[July 27]]|
 +
website=—
 +
}}The '''St. Panteleimon's Monastery''' (Greek: Άγιος Παντελεήμων, Agios Panteleimon) is one of the twenty [[monastery|monasteries]] located on the peninsula of [[Mount Athos]] in northeastern Greece. The [[monastery]] is on southwestern side of the peninsula. St. Panteleimon's has been inhabited for the past two-hundred-plus years by [[monk]]s of Russian origin and is referred to often as the Russian monastery (Ρωσσικόν, Rossikon). The monastery is ranked nineteenth in the hierarchical order among the twenty monasteries on Mount Athos. The [[monk]]s live in a coenobitic life. The monastery [[feast day]] is that of St. [[Panteleimon]], [[July 27]].
  
A monastery has existed for nearly thousand years near the site of the present monastery, with the original buildings dating back to the eleventh century. The monastery was rebuilt after a fire during the thirteenth century with financial support from Emperor Andronicus Paleolgus and Serbian rulers. The monastery experienced cyclic periods economic prosperity and recession. Both Greek and Russian monks occupied the monastery over the centuries with the population strength alternating between them. Since 1875 the Russians have been the dominant ethnics. In 1875 a decree was imposed that the services held in the katholikon must be chanted in both Greek and Russian. At its height in 1903 over 1440 monks lived in the monastery.
+
A monastery has existed for nearly a thousand years near the site of the present monastery, with the original buildings dating back to the eleventh century. The monastery was rebuilt after a fire during the thirteenth century with financial support from Emperor Andronicus Paleologos and Serbian rulers. The monastery experienced cyclic periods of economic prosperity and recession. Both Greek and Russian monks occupied the monastery over the centuries with the population strength alternating between them. Since 1875 the Russians have been the dominant ethnicity. In 1875 a decree was imposed that the services held in the katholikon must be chanted in both Greek and Russian. At its height in 1903, over 1440 monks lived in the monastery.
  
 
The existing monastery is of fairly recent origin, with its construction at the present site on an inlet of the Sinigitic Gulf beginning in 1765. Construction of the present katholikon began in 1812 and was completed in 1821. It was dedicated to St. Panteleimon and is built in the style of the other Athonite churches.  
 
The existing monastery is of fairly recent origin, with its construction at the present site on an inlet of the Sinigitic Gulf beginning in 1765. Construction of the present katholikon began in 1812 and was completed in 1821. It was dedicated to St. Panteleimon and is built in the style of the other Athonite churches.  
  
The monastery possesses a number of other properties, including fifteen [[chapel]]s, five kellia, the Chromitsa metochion, the Bogoroditsa [[skete]], Nea Thebais, and three other sketes.  With its many storied buildings and tall cupolas on the [[church]]es, the monastery appears to be a small city. One wing of the monastery was destroyed by a fire in 1968.
+
The monastery possesses a number of other properties, including fifteen [[chapel]]s, five kellia, the Chromitsa metochion, the Bogoroditsa [[skete]], Nea Thebais, and three other sketes.  With its many-storied buildings and tall cupolas on the [[church]]es, the monastery appears to be a small city. One wing of the monastery was destroyed by a fire in 1968.
  
The treasures of Panteleimon are mainly of Russian style. These include numerous portable [[icon]]s, various [[vestments]], crosses, pectorals, [[chalice]]s, and [[Gospels]].
+
The treasures of Panteleimon are mainly of Russian style. These include numerous portable [[icon]]s, various [[vestments]], [[cross]]es, pectorals, [[chalice]]s, and [[Gospels]].
  
The monastery library consist of over 20,000 printed books, in both Greek and Russian. There are over 1,920 manuscripts in the Greek and Slavic languages.  
+
The monastery library consists of over 20,000 printed books, in both Greek and Russian. There are over 1,920 manuscripts in the Greek and Slavic languages.  
  
 +
==External links==
 +
*[[w:Rossikon|''Rossikon'' at Wikipedia]]
 +
*[http://inathos.gr/athos/en/ Mount Athos]
 +
*[http://www.culture.gr/2/21/212/21210a/e212ja12.html Holy Monastery of Agios Panteleimon]
 +
*[http://www.hri.org/MPA/other/Agio_Oros/monasteries/panteleimonos.html The Monastery of St. Panteleimon]
 +
*[http://www.mountathos.gr/active~mode~en%7Bdd72195d-e217-46b5-b9dd-9b47d366b2dc%7DPrint.html Panteleimon]
 +
*[http://www.skiouros.net/voyages/2002/athos/_panteleimonos.en.html Panteleimonos - Παντελεημονος]
  
==External link==
+
[[Category:Athonite Monasteries|Panteleimon]]
*[http://inathos.gr/athos/en/  Mount Athos]
+
[[Category:Monasteries|Panteleimon]]
 
+
 
+
[[Category: Monasteries]]
+

Revision as of 15:48, June 19, 2006

St. Panteleimon's Monastery on Mount Athos.
St. Panteleimon's Monastery
Jurisdiction Russian
Type Male monastery
Founded 11th century
Superior unknown
Approx. size 40-50 monks
Location Mount Athos
Liturgical language(s) Greek, Russian
Music used Byzantine Chant
Calendar Julian
Feastdays celebrated July 27
Official website

The St. Panteleimon's Monastery (Greek: Άγιος Παντελεήμων, Agios Panteleimon) is one of the twenty monasteries located on the peninsula of Mount Athos in northeastern Greece. The monastery is on southwestern side of the peninsula. St. Panteleimon's has been inhabited for the past two-hundred-plus years by monks of Russian origin and is referred to often as the Russian monastery (Ρωσσικόν, Rossikon). The monastery is ranked nineteenth in the hierarchical order among the twenty monasteries on Mount Athos. The monks live in a coenobitic life. The monastery feast day is that of St. Panteleimon, July 27.

A monastery has existed for nearly a thousand years near the site of the present monastery, with the original buildings dating back to the eleventh century. The monastery was rebuilt after a fire during the thirteenth century with financial support from Emperor Andronicus Paleologos and Serbian rulers. The monastery experienced cyclic periods of economic prosperity and recession. Both Greek and Russian monks occupied the monastery over the centuries with the population strength alternating between them. Since 1875 the Russians have been the dominant ethnicity. In 1875 a decree was imposed that the services held in the katholikon must be chanted in both Greek and Russian. At its height in 1903, over 1440 monks lived in the monastery.

The existing monastery is of fairly recent origin, with its construction at the present site on an inlet of the Sinigitic Gulf beginning in 1765. Construction of the present katholikon began in 1812 and was completed in 1821. It was dedicated to St. Panteleimon and is built in the style of the other Athonite churches.

The monastery possesses a number of other properties, including fifteen chapels, five kellia, the Chromitsa metochion, the Bogoroditsa skete, Nea Thebais, and three other sketes. With its many-storied buildings and tall cupolas on the churches, the monastery appears to be a small city. One wing of the monastery was destroyed by a fire in 1968.

The treasures of Panteleimon are mainly of Russian style. These include numerous portable icons, various vestments, crosses, pectorals, chalices, and Gospels.

The monastery library consists of over 20,000 printed books, in both Greek and Russian. There are over 1,920 manuscripts in the Greek and Slavic languages.

External links

Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox