St. Mina Monastery (Mariut, Egypt)

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 9: Line 9:
 
* [http://www.stmina-monastery.org/ St. Mina Monastery in Mariut on the Web]
 
* [http://www.stmina-monastery.org/ St. Mina Monastery in Mariut on the Web]
  
[[Category:Pilgrimage Sites]]
 
 
[[Category:Monasteries]]
 
[[Category:Monasteries]]
 +
[[Category:Pilgrimage Sites]]

Revision as of 15:06, July 2, 2005

Today, thousands of pilgrims continue to flock from all over the world to receive spiritual and physical healing at the revived monastery, which has once again become "Lourdes of the East".

The late Pope Kyrillos VI established this Coptic Orthodox monastery in 1959 in commemoration of Saint Mina (Menas), his patron saint, in an isolated desert area very close to the archaeological site and historical city of Abu Mena in Mariut, near Alexandria, Egypt.

Abu Mena is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and was once an important Christian pilgrimage site during the 4th to 7th cent. A.D. Numerous little clay bottles (ampullae), on which Saint Mina's name and picture are engraved, were discovered by archeologists in diverse countries around the world, such as Heidleburg in Germany, Milan in Italy, Dalmata in Yugoslavia, Marceille in France, Dengela in Sudan, and Jerusalem. These pottery ampullae (small holy water and oil flasks brought from pilgrimage places as a souvenir, and mass-produced in Early Byzantine times) come from Abu Mena, near Alexandria in Egypt.

Countless miracles have happened and continue to happen until this day there through the intercessions of Saint Mina the Martyr, Pope Kyrillos VI and the late Abba Mina Ava-Mina (late abbot of the new monastery), whose relics (all three) are preserved in the monastery.

External Link

Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox