St. George Free Serbian Orthodox Church (Forrest, Australian Capital Territory)

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(article-ising)
Line 1: Line 1:
'''St George Free Serbian Orthodox Church in Forrest, Australia''', was formed in 1955, experiencing a hiatus between 1963 and 1992. From 1963-1992, a group of former Yugoslav Royal Military officers registered the 'Free Serbian Orthodox Church St George, Inc' organisation with the ACT government.  The parishioners acquired land in the suburb of Forrest, built a [[church]] building, a hall which they call to this day 'Serbian Centre Draza Mihailovic', and a monument to ''Cetnik'' (Royal Yugoslavian Armed Forces) General Dragoljub 'Draza' Mihailovic, the first of its kind anywhere in the world.
+
{{orthodoxyinaustralia}}
 +
'''St George Free Serbian Orthodox Church''', in Forrest, Canberra, Australia, is a parish in the [[Holy Synod in Resistance]]'s Diocese of Sydney and New South Wales, and is currently served by Fr Dragan Saracevic.
 +
 
 +
==Founding and Hiatus (1955-1992)==
 +
St George Free Serbian Orthodox Church was formed in 1955, served by Fr Dusan Popovic. In 1963, the church experienced some unspecified difficulties, during which time a group of former Yugoslav Royal Military officers registered the 'Free Serbian Orthodox Church St George, Inc' organisation with the ACT government, an organisational structure that continued until 1992.   
 +
 
 +
The parishioners acquired land in the suburb of Forrest, built a [[church]] building, a hall which they call to this day 'Serbian Centre Draza Mihailovic', and a monument to ''Cetnik'' (Royal Yugoslavian Armed Forces) General Dragoljub 'Draza' Mihailovic, the first of its kind anywhere in the world.
  
 
The First President of the Church-School Community (in 1955) was Vojislav Miletic, who, together with his wife Jelena, became a major benefactor to [[Monastery of St. Sava (Elaine, Victoria)|St Sava Monastery]] in Elaine, Victoria.
 
The First President of the Church-School Community (in 1955) was Vojislav Miletic, who, together with his wife Jelena, became a major benefactor to [[Monastery of St. Sava (Elaine, Victoria)|St Sava Monastery]] in Elaine, Victoria.
Line 5: Line 11:
 
The interior of the church was painted by Czech artist Karl Matzek in the 1970s and 1980s, primarily in the Western mural style.
 
The interior of the church was painted by Czech artist Karl Matzek in the 1970s and 1980s, primarily in the Western mural style.
  
 +
==Serbian Patriarchate (1992-2008)==
 
Since 1992, when the schismatic 'Free Church' came into the Church of Serbia, it has been visited by several canonical Orthodox [[bishop]]s, including the Serbian [[Patriarch]] [[Pavle (Stojcevic) of Serbia|Pavle]] in November 2004.
 
Since 1992, when the schismatic 'Free Church' came into the Church of Serbia, it has been visited by several canonical Orthodox [[bishop]]s, including the Serbian [[Patriarch]] [[Pavle (Stojcevic) of Serbia|Pavle]] in November 2004.
  
During the early 1990’s, the Church was fortunate to be recognised amongst the Australian Capital Territory's Heritage Listed sites and remains a civic icon of Canberra to this day.
+
During the early 1990’s, the Church was fortunate to be recognised amongst the Australian Capital Territory's Heritage Listed sites and remains a civic icon of Canberra to this day.  Fr Jakov Jovic served the church from 1992, and was succeeded by Fr Stanisa Ostojic in 2004.
  
In August 2006, Bishop Milutin removed the antimension from the [[altar]] of St George's. It is reported that this is due to the church's connection to the Serbian anti-communist freedom fighter Draza Mihailovic: a plaque carrying a dedication to Draza appears at the entrance to the church along side the monument to this Serbian World War hero.  At an unknown date, the antimension was replaced.
+
In August 2006, Bishop Milutin removed the antimension from the [[altar]] of St George's. It is reported that this is due to the church's connection to the Serbian anti-communist freedom fighter Draza Mihailovic: a plaque carrying a dedication to Draza appears at the entrance to the church along side the monument to this Serbian World War hero.  At an unknown date, the antimension was replaced.  Fr Nikola Bilic succeeded Fr Stanisa as the parish priest during this year.
  
In 2007, the church was blessed with the restoration of the frescos that line the ceiling and walls. These frescos have become drawn many tourists to Canberra to the church, sharing in the beauty of Serbian Orthodoxy depicted in these fresco’s whilst learning about several significant events that shaped our Serbian Orthodoxy.
+
In 2007, the church was blessed with the restoration of the frescos that line the ceiling and walls. These frescos have become drawn many tourists to Canberra to the church, sharing in the beauty of Serbian Orthodoxy depicted in these fresco’s whilst learning about several significant events that shaped our Serbian Orthodoxy.  Fr Nikola Bilic concluded his service during this year, without immediate successor.
  
 +
==Holy Synod in Repentance (2008-present)==
 
In March 2008, Bishop Irinej removed the antimension from the altar for the second time in two years, authorising for chains to bar the main gates.  It is reported that this is due to a dispute, variously between the property trustees and/or with the majority of regular parishioners.   
 
In March 2008, Bishop Irinej removed the antimension from the altar for the second time in two years, authorising for chains to bar the main gates.  It is reported that this is due to a dispute, variously between the property trustees and/or with the majority of regular parishioners.   
  
Following this dispute, the parish broke away from the Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Australia and New Zealand (New Gracanica Metropolitanate), and has reverted to its original name of St George Free Serbian Orthodox Church.
+
Following this dispute, the parish broke away from the Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Australia and New Zealand (New Gracanica Metropolitanate), and reverted to its original name of St George Free Serbian Orthodox Church. During 2009, the Parish faced the decision to be amalgamated into the newly formed Organisation established by Bishop Irenej or to seek acceptance elsewhere.  
 
+
During 2009, following the prior dispute, the Parish faced the decision to be amalgamated into the newly formed Organisation established by Bishop Irenej or to seek acceptance elsewhere.  
+
  
The Parish has since been accepted into The Holy Synod in Resistance, Old Calendar Greek Orthodox Church, receiving blessing from the St. Cyprian and Justina Monastery, Greece.
+
Choosing the latter option, the Parish has been accepted into The [[Holy Synod in Resistance]], an [[Old Calendarist|Old Calendar]] Church based in Greece, receiving a blessing from the St. Cyprian and Justina Monastery, Greece.  The current parish priest, from 2009, is Fr Dragan Saracevic.
   
+
==Clergy==
+
* Fr Dusan Popovic (19??-1963)
+
* Fr Jakov Jovic (1992-2004)
+
* Fr Stanisa Ostojic (2004-2006)
+
* Fr Nikola Bilic (2006-2007)
+
* Fr Dragan Saracevic (2009-present)
+
  
 
==See also==
 
==See also==
 +
*[[Holy Synod in Resistance]]
 
*[[Serbian Orthodox Church in Australia and New Zealand]]
 
*[[Serbian Orthodox Church in Australia and New Zealand]]
  

Revision as of 02:25, April 26, 2009

This article forms part of the series
Orthodoxy in Australia
Australasia.gif
History
Orthodoxy in Australia Timeline
Statistics of Orthodoxy in Australia
Antiochian Orthodox
Gk Orthodox Archd. of ANZ
Jurisdictions
GOA Aus - Abp Stylianos
Antiochian - Met Abp Paul
ROCOR - Met Hilarion
Serbian - Bp Irinej
Romanian - Bp Michael
Without local bishop
Pan-Orthodox Synaxes
Episcopal Assembly SCCOCA
Institutions
Antiochian Orthodox
Greek Orthodox (Aus)
Notable Monasteries
St Anna
Holy Cross
Gorgoepikoos
O.L. of Kazan
Presentation
Proph. Elias
St John Mtn
Pantanassa
St Sava (Elaine)
Transfiguration
Complete List
Edit this box

St George Free Serbian Orthodox Church, in Forrest, Canberra, Australia, is a parish in the Holy Synod in Resistance's Diocese of Sydney and New South Wales, and is currently served by Fr Dragan Saracevic.

Contents

Founding and Hiatus (1955-1992)

St George Free Serbian Orthodox Church was formed in 1955, served by Fr Dusan Popovic. In 1963, the church experienced some unspecified difficulties, during which time a group of former Yugoslav Royal Military officers registered the 'Free Serbian Orthodox Church St George, Inc' organisation with the ACT government, an organisational structure that continued until 1992.

The parishioners acquired land in the suburb of Forrest, built a church building, a hall which they call to this day 'Serbian Centre Draza Mihailovic', and a monument to Cetnik (Royal Yugoslavian Armed Forces) General Dragoljub 'Draza' Mihailovic, the first of its kind anywhere in the world.

The First President of the Church-School Community (in 1955) was Vojislav Miletic, who, together with his wife Jelena, became a major benefactor to St Sava Monastery in Elaine, Victoria.

The interior of the church was painted by Czech artist Karl Matzek in the 1970s and 1980s, primarily in the Western mural style.

Serbian Patriarchate (1992-2008)

Since 1992, when the schismatic 'Free Church' came into the Church of Serbia, it has been visited by several canonical Orthodox bishops, including the Serbian Patriarch Pavle in November 2004.

During the early 1990’s, the Church was fortunate to be recognised amongst the Australian Capital Territory's Heritage Listed sites and remains a civic icon of Canberra to this day. Fr Jakov Jovic served the church from 1992, and was succeeded by Fr Stanisa Ostojic in 2004.

In August 2006, Bishop Milutin removed the antimension from the altar of St George's. It is reported that this is due to the church's connection to the Serbian anti-communist freedom fighter Draza Mihailovic: a plaque carrying a dedication to Draza appears at the entrance to the church along side the monument to this Serbian World War hero. At an unknown date, the antimension was replaced. Fr Nikola Bilic succeeded Fr Stanisa as the parish priest during this year.

In 2007, the church was blessed with the restoration of the frescos that line the ceiling and walls. These frescos have become drawn many tourists to Canberra to the church, sharing in the beauty of Serbian Orthodoxy depicted in these fresco’s whilst learning about several significant events that shaped our Serbian Orthodoxy. Fr Nikola Bilic concluded his service during this year, without immediate successor.

Holy Synod in Repentance (2008-present)

In March 2008, Bishop Irinej removed the antimension from the altar for the second time in two years, authorising for chains to bar the main gates. It is reported that this is due to a dispute, variously between the property trustees and/or with the majority of regular parishioners.

Following this dispute, the parish broke away from the Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Australia and New Zealand (New Gracanica Metropolitanate), and reverted to its original name of St George Free Serbian Orthodox Church. During 2009, the Parish faced the decision to be amalgamated into the newly formed Organisation established by Bishop Irenej or to seek acceptance elsewhere.

Choosing the latter option, the Parish has been accepted into The Holy Synod in Resistance, an Old Calendar Church based in Greece, receiving a blessing from the St. Cyprian and Justina Monastery, Greece. The current parish priest, from 2009, is Fr Dragan Saracevic.

See also

Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox