St. George Free Serbian Orthodox Church (Forrest, Australian Capital Territory)

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
m (cleaning up)
Line 1: Line 1:
=Serbian Orthodox Church St George, Forrest=
+
The '''St George Serbian Orthodox Church in Forrest, Australia''', was formed in 1955, ended in 1963, and resurrected in 1992. From 1963-1992, a group of former Yugolav Royal Military officers registered the 'Free Serbian Orthodox Church St George Inc' organisation with the ACT government, acquired land in the suburb of Forrest, built a church building, a hall which they call to this day 'Serbian Centre Draza Mihailovic', and a monument to Yugoslav General Dragoljub 'Draza' Mihailovic, the first of its kind anywhere in the world.
  
This church community was formed in 1955, ended in 1963, and resurrected in 1992. From 1963-1992, a group of former Yugolav Royal Military officers registered the 'Free Serbian Orthodox Church St George Inc' organisation with the ACT government, acquired land in the suburb of Forrest, built a church building, a hall which they call to this day 'Serbian Centre Draza Mihailovic', and a monument to Yugoslav General Dragoljub 'Draza' Mihailovic, the first of its kind anywhere in the world.
+
The First President of the Church-School Community (in 1955) was Vojislav Miletic, who, together with his wife Jelena, became a major benefactor to [[Monastery of St Sava (Elaine, Australia)|St Sava Monastery]] in Elaine, Victoria.
 
+
The First President of the Church-School Community (in 1955) was Vojislav Miletic, who, together with his wife Jelena, became a major benefactor to [[St Sava Monastery]] in Elaine, Victoria.
+
  
 
The interior of the church was painted by Czech artist Karl Matzek in the 1970s and 1980s, primarily in the Western mural style.
 
The interior of the church was painted by Czech artist Karl Matzek in the 1970s and 1980s, primarily in the Western mural style.
  
Since 1992, when the schismatic 'Free Church' came into the Serbian Patriarchal fold, it has been visited by several canonical Orthodox bishops, including the [[Serbian Patriarch Pavle]] in November 2004.
+
Since 1992, when the schismatic 'Free Church' came into the Serbian Patriarchal fold, it has been visited by several canonical Orthodox [[bishop]]s, including the Serbian [[Patriarch]] [[Pavle (Stojcevic) of Serbia|Pavle]] in November 2004.
  
 
==Clergy==
 
==Clergy==
 
 
* Fr Dusan Popovic (19??-1963)
 
* Fr Dusan Popovic (19??-1963)
 
* Fr Jakov Jovic 'prophet' (1992-2004)
 
* Fr Jakov Jovic 'prophet' (1992-2004)
Line 16: Line 13:
  
 
==Contact==
 
==Contact==
 
 
Address: 32 National Circuit, Forrest, ACT<br>
 
Address: 32 National Circuit, Forrest, ACT<br>
 
Postal Address: PO Box 3339, Manuka ACT 2603<br>
 
Postal Address: PO Box 3339, Manuka ACT 2603<br>
Line 23: Line 19:
 
Fr Stanisa Tel: 0421-316-172
 
Fr Stanisa Tel: 0421-316-172
  
==Links==
+
==See also==
 +
*[[Serbian Orthodox Church in Australia and New Zealand]]
  
[[Serbian Orthodox Church in Australia and New Zealand]]
+
[[Category:Churches]]
 +
[[Category:Orthodoxy in Australia]]

Revision as of 04:53, September 16, 2005

The St George Serbian Orthodox Church in Forrest, Australia, was formed in 1955, ended in 1963, and resurrected in 1992. From 1963-1992, a group of former Yugolav Royal Military officers registered the 'Free Serbian Orthodox Church St George Inc' organisation with the ACT government, acquired land in the suburb of Forrest, built a church building, a hall which they call to this day 'Serbian Centre Draza Mihailovic', and a monument to Yugoslav General Dragoljub 'Draza' Mihailovic, the first of its kind anywhere in the world.

The First President of the Church-School Community (in 1955) was Vojislav Miletic, who, together with his wife Jelena, became a major benefactor to St Sava Monastery in Elaine, Victoria.

The interior of the church was painted by Czech artist Karl Matzek in the 1970s and 1980s, primarily in the Western mural style.

Since 1992, when the schismatic 'Free Church' came into the Serbian Patriarchal fold, it has been visited by several canonical Orthodox bishops, including the Serbian Patriarch Pavle in November 2004.

Clergy

  • Fr Dusan Popovic (19??-1963)
  • Fr Jakov Jovic 'prophet' (1992-2004)
  • Fr Stanisa Ostojic (2004-present)

Contact

Address: 32 National Circuit, Forrest, ACT
Postal Address: PO Box 3339, Manuka ACT 2603
Tel: 02-6295-1344
Fax: 02-6232-6897
Fr Stanisa Tel: 0421-316-172

See also

Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox