St. George Free Serbian Orthodox Church (Forrest, Australian Capital Territory)

From OrthodoxWiki
(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(cleanup)
(revised category)
 
(11 intermediate revisions by 6 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
'''St George Free Serbian Orthodox Church in Forrest, Australia''', was formed in 1955, ended in 1963, and refounded in 1992. From 1963-1992, a group of former Yugoslav Royal Military officers registered the 'Free Serbian Orthodox Church St George Inc' organisation with the ACT government, acquired land in the suburb of Forrest, built a [[church]] building, a hall which they call to this day 'Serbian Centre Draza Mihailovic', and a monument to Yugoslav General Dragoljub 'Draza' Mihailovic, the first of its kind anywhere in the world.
+
{{orthodoxyinaustralia}}
 +
'''St George Free Serbian Orthodox Church''', in Forrest, Canberra, Australia, is a [[parish]] in the [[Holy Synod in Resistance]]'s [[Diocese]] of Sydney and New South Wales, and is currently served by Fr Dragan Saracevic.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
[[Image:STGEORGECHURCH.JPG|left|thumb|300px|St George Free Serbian Orthodox Church, Forrest, Canberra, Australia]]
 +
 
 +
==Founding and Hiatus (1955-1992)==
 +
St George Free Serbian Orthodox Church was formed in 1955, served by Fr Dusan Popovic. In 1963, the church experienced some unspecified difficulties, during which time a group of former Yugoslav Royal Military officers registered the 'Free Serbian Orthodox Church St George, Inc' organisation with the ACT government, an organisational structure that continued until 1992. 
 +
 
 +
The parishioners acquired land in the suburb of Forrest, built a [[church]] building, a hall which they call to this day 'Serbian Centre Draza Mihailovic', and a monument to ''Cetnik'' (Royal Yugoslavian Armed Forces) General Dragoljub 'Draza' Mihailovic, the first of its kind anywhere in the world.
  
 
The First President of the Church-School Community (in 1955) was Vojislav Miletic, who, together with his wife Jelena, became a major benefactor to [[Monastery of St. Sava (Elaine, Victoria)|St Sava Monastery]] in Elaine, Victoria.
 
The First President of the Church-School Community (in 1955) was Vojislav Miletic, who, together with his wife Jelena, became a major benefactor to [[Monastery of St. Sava (Elaine, Victoria)|St Sava Monastery]] in Elaine, Victoria.
Line 5: Line 14:
 
The interior of the church was painted by Czech artist Karl Matzek in the 1970s and 1980s, primarily in the Western mural style.
 
The interior of the church was painted by Czech artist Karl Matzek in the 1970s and 1980s, primarily in the Western mural style.
  
Since 1992, when the schismatic 'Free Church' came into the Serbian patriarchal fold, it has been visited by several canonical Orthodox [[bishop]]s, including the Serbian [[Patriarch]] [[Pavle (Stojcevic) of Serbia|Pavle]] in November 2004.  In July 2006, the [[parish]] had no resident [[priest]].
+
==Serbian Patriarchate (1992-2008)==
 +
Since 1992, when the schismatic 'Free Church' came into the Church of Serbia, it has been visited by several canonical Orthodox [[bishop]]s, including the Serbian [[Patriarch]] [[Pavle (Stojcevic) of Serbia|Pavle]] in November 2004.
 +
 
 +
During the early 1990’s, the Church was fortunate to be recognised amongst the Australian Capital Territory's Heritage Listed sites and remains a civic icon of Canberra to this dayFr Jakov Jovic served the church from 1992, and was succeeded by Fr Stanisa Ostojic in 2004.
 +
 
 +
In August 2006, Bishop Milutin removed the [[antimension]] from the [[altar]] of St George's. At an unknown date, the antimension was replaced.  Fr Nikola Bilic succeeded Fr Stanisa as the [[parish]] [[priest]] during this year.
 +
 
 +
In 2007, the church was blessed with the restoration of the frescoes that line the ceiling and walls. These frescos have drawn many tourists to Canberra to the church, sharing in the beauty of Serbian Orthodoxy depicted in these frescoes whilst learning about several significant events that shaped our Serbian Orthodoxy.  Fr Nikola Bilic concluded his service during this year, without immediate successor.
  
In August 2006, in an unrelated matter, Bishop Milutin removed the [[antimension]] from the [[altar]] of St George's. It is reported that this was due to the church's connection to the Serbian anti-communist freedom fighter Draza Mihailovic; a plaque carrying a dedication to Draza appears at the entrance to the church.
+
==Holy Synod in Resistance (2008-present)==
 +
In March 2008, Bishop Irinej removed the antimension from the altar for the second time in two years, authorising for chains to bar the main gates. It is reported (by whom?) that this is due to a dispute, variously between the property trustees and/or with the majority of regular parishioners.
  
In March 2008, Bishop Irinej removed the antimension from the altar for the second time in two years. It is reported that this was due to a dispute with the property trustees.
+
Following this dispute, the parish broke away from the Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Australia and New Zealand (New Gracanica Metropolitanate), and reverted to its original name of St George Free Serbian Orthodox Church. During 2009, the parish faced the decision to be amalgamated into the newly formed Organisation established by Bishop Irinej or to seek acceptance elsewhere.  
  
Following the dispute with Bishop Irinej, the parish broke off ties with Bishop Irinej's administration and has reverted to its original name of St George Free Serbian Orthodox Church.
+
Choosing the latter option, the parish has been accepted into The [[Holy Synod in Resistance]], an [[Old Calendarist|Old Calendar]] Church based in Greece, receiving a blessing from the St. Cyprian and Justina Monastery, GreeceThe current parish priest, from 2009, is Fr Dragan Saracevic.
   
+
==Clergy==
+
* Fr Dusan Popovic (19??-1963)
+
* Fr Jakov Jovic (1992-2004)
+
* Fr Stanisa Ostojic (2004-2006)
+
* Fr Nikola Bilic (2006-present)
+
  
==Contact==
+
A parallel parish administration aligned with the Serbian Orthodox Church also exists, with Fr. Jakov Jovic installed as parish priest by Bishop Irinej.
Address: 32 National Circuit, Forrest, ACT<br>
+
Postal Address: PO Box 3339, Manuka ACT 2603<br>
+
  
 
==See also==
 
==See also==
 +
*[[Holy Synod in Resistance]]
 
*[[Serbian Orthodox Church in Australia and New Zealand]]
 
*[[Serbian Orthodox Church in Australia and New Zealand]]
  
 
[[Category:Churches|George]]
 
[[Category:Churches|George]]
[[Category:Australian Churches|George]]
+
[[Category: Churches in Australia|George]]
 
[[Category:Orthodoxy in Australia|George]]
 
[[Category:Orthodoxy in Australia|George]]

Latest revision as of 12:30, October 22, 2012

This article forms part of the series
Orthodoxy in Australia
Australasia.gif
History
Orthodoxy in Australia Timeline
Statistics of Orthodoxy in Australia
Antiochian Orthodox
Gk Orthodox Archd. of ANZ
Jurisdictions
GOA Aus - Abp Stylianos
Antiochian - Met Abp Paul
ROCOR - Met Hilarion
Serbian - Bp Irinej
Romanian - Bp Michael
Without local bishop
Pan-Orthodox Synaxes
Episcopal Assembly SCCOCA
Institutions
Antiochian Orthodox
Greek Orthodox (Aus)
Notable Monasteries
St Anna
Holy Cross
Gorgoepikoos
O.L. of Kazan
Presentation
Proph. Elias
St John Mtn
Pantanassa
St Sava (Elaine)
Transfiguration
Complete List
Edit this box

St George Free Serbian Orthodox Church, in Forrest, Canberra, Australia, is a parish in the Holy Synod in Resistance's Diocese of Sydney and New South Wales, and is currently served by Fr Dragan Saracevic.


St George Free Serbian Orthodox Church, Forrest, Canberra, Australia

Contents

Founding and Hiatus (1955-1992)

St George Free Serbian Orthodox Church was formed in 1955, served by Fr Dusan Popovic. In 1963, the church experienced some unspecified difficulties, during which time a group of former Yugoslav Royal Military officers registered the 'Free Serbian Orthodox Church St George, Inc' organisation with the ACT government, an organisational structure that continued until 1992.

The parishioners acquired land in the suburb of Forrest, built a church building, a hall which they call to this day 'Serbian Centre Draza Mihailovic', and a monument to Cetnik (Royal Yugoslavian Armed Forces) General Dragoljub 'Draza' Mihailovic, the first of its kind anywhere in the world.

The First President of the Church-School Community (in 1955) was Vojislav Miletic, who, together with his wife Jelena, became a major benefactor to St Sava Monastery in Elaine, Victoria.

The interior of the church was painted by Czech artist Karl Matzek in the 1970s and 1980s, primarily in the Western mural style.

Serbian Patriarchate (1992-2008)

Since 1992, when the schismatic 'Free Church' came into the Church of Serbia, it has been visited by several canonical Orthodox bishops, including the Serbian Patriarch Pavle in November 2004.

During the early 1990’s, the Church was fortunate to be recognised amongst the Australian Capital Territory's Heritage Listed sites and remains a civic icon of Canberra to this day. Fr Jakov Jovic served the church from 1992, and was succeeded by Fr Stanisa Ostojic in 2004.

In August 2006, Bishop Milutin removed the antimension from the altar of St George's. At an unknown date, the antimension was replaced. Fr Nikola Bilic succeeded Fr Stanisa as the parish priest during this year.

In 2007, the church was blessed with the restoration of the frescoes that line the ceiling and walls. These frescos have drawn many tourists to Canberra to the church, sharing in the beauty of Serbian Orthodoxy depicted in these frescoes whilst learning about several significant events that shaped our Serbian Orthodoxy. Fr Nikola Bilic concluded his service during this year, without immediate successor.

Holy Synod in Resistance (2008-present)

In March 2008, Bishop Irinej removed the antimension from the altar for the second time in two years, authorising for chains to bar the main gates. It is reported (by whom?) that this is due to a dispute, variously between the property trustees and/or with the majority of regular parishioners.

Following this dispute, the parish broke away from the Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Australia and New Zealand (New Gracanica Metropolitanate), and reverted to its original name of St George Free Serbian Orthodox Church. During 2009, the parish faced the decision to be amalgamated into the newly formed Organisation established by Bishop Irinej or to seek acceptance elsewhere.

Choosing the latter option, the parish has been accepted into The Holy Synod in Resistance, an Old Calendar Church based in Greece, receiving a blessing from the St. Cyprian and Justina Monastery, Greece. The current parish priest, from 2009, is Fr Dragan Saracevic.

A parallel parish administration aligned with the Serbian Orthodox Church also exists, with Fr. Jakov Jovic installed as parish priest by Bishop Irinej.

See also

Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox