St. George Free Serbian Orthodox Church (Forrest, Australian Capital Territory)

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 
=Serbian Orthodox Church St George, Forrest=
 
=Serbian Orthodox Church St George, Forrest=
  
This church community was formed in 1955, and ended in 1963. Some members of the old community formed the 'Free Serbian Orthodox Church St George Inc' organisation, acquired land in the suburb of Forrest, built a church, a hall, and a monument to Yugoslav General Dragoljub 'Draza' Mihailovic, the first of its kind anywhere in the world.<br><br>
+
This church community was formed in 1955, ended in 1963, and ressurected in 1992. From 1963-1992, a group of former Yugolav Royal Military officers registered the 'Free Serbian Orthodox Church St George Inc' organisation with the ACT government, acquired land in the suburb of Forrest, built a church building, a hall which they call to this day 'Serbian Centre Draza Mihailovic', and a monument to Yugoslav General Dragoljub 'Draza' Mihailovic, the first of its kind anywhere in the world.
The interoir of the church was painted by Czech artist Karl Matzek in the 1970s and 1980s, primarily in the Western mural style.
+
 
 +
The interior of the church was painted by Czech artist Karl Matzek in the 1970s and 1980s, primarily in the Western mural style.
  
 
Since 1992, when the schismatic 'Free Church' came into the Serbian Patriarchal fold, it has been visited by several canonical Orthodox bishops, including the [[Serbian Patriarch Pavle]] in November 2004.
 
Since 1992, when the schismatic 'Free Church' came into the Serbian Patriarchal fold, it has been visited by several canonical Orthodox bishops, including the [[Serbian Patriarch Pavle]] in November 2004.
Line 14: Line 15:
 
==Contact==
 
==Contact==
  
Address: 32 National Circuit, Forrest, ACT>br>
+
Address: 32 National Circuit, Forrest, ACT<br>
 
Postal Address: PO Box 3339, Manuka ACT 2603<br>
 
Postal Address: PO Box 3339, Manuka ACT 2603<br>
 
Tel: 02-6295-1344<br>
 
Tel: 02-6295-1344<br>

Revision as of 04:45, September 16, 2005

Contents

Serbian Orthodox Church St George, Forrest

This church community was formed in 1955, ended in 1963, and ressurected in 1992. From 1963-1992, a group of former Yugolav Royal Military officers registered the 'Free Serbian Orthodox Church St George Inc' organisation with the ACT government, acquired land in the suburb of Forrest, built a church building, a hall which they call to this day 'Serbian Centre Draza Mihailovic', and a monument to Yugoslav General Dragoljub 'Draza' Mihailovic, the first of its kind anywhere in the world.

The interior of the church was painted by Czech artist Karl Matzek in the 1970s and 1980s, primarily in the Western mural style.

Since 1992, when the schismatic 'Free Church' came into the Serbian Patriarchal fold, it has been visited by several canonical Orthodox bishops, including the Serbian Patriarch Pavle in November 2004.

Clergy

  • Fr Dusan Popovic (19??-1963)
  • Fr Jakov Jovic 'prophet' (1992-2004)
  • Fr Stanisa Ostojic (2004-present)

Contact

Address: 32 National Circuit, Forrest, ACT
Postal Address: PO Box 3339, Manuka ACT 2603
Tel: 02-6295-1344
Fax: 02-6232-6897
Fr Stanisa Tel: 0421-316-172

Links

Serbian Orthodox Church in Australia and New Zealand

Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox