St. Anne's Skete (Athos)
|St. Anne's Skete|
|Rank or attached monastery||Great Lavra|
|Type of community||Idiorrhythmic Skete|
|Approx. size||85 monks|
|Location||Close to the cape of Mt Athos|
|Music used||Byzantine chant|
|Feastdays celebrated||St Anna|
St. Anne's Skete (or, less commonly, The Major Skete of St. Anne's) is one of four sketes attached to the Great Lavra of Mount Athos. It is located near the cape of Mt Athos, near Little St. Anne's Skete. St Anne's Skete has the distinction of being the largest and oldest skete of Mt Athos, and was founded to preserve the left foot of St Anne, the Mother of the Theotokos.
There are 51 brotherhood houses at St Anne's Skete, inhabited by 85 monks. The houses each have different handicrafts - some fishing, some gardening, others iconography, wood carving, miniature art or incense. The main church was built and frescoed in 1754, and was dedicated to St Anna, and holds the relics of several saintly martyrs of the Church.
- St. John the Baptist Skete, attached to the Great Lavra.
- Kavsokalyvia Skete, attached to the Great Lavra.
- St. Anne's Skete, attached to the Great Lavra.
- Gerasimos of Abydos, on Mt Athos between 1928 and 1934, lived at St Anne's and was tonsured by Father Chrysostomos (Kartsonas).