Protection of the Holy Virgin Monastery (Lake George, Colorado)
|Protection of the Holy Virgin Monastery|
|Superior||Mother Cassiana (acting)|
|Location||Lake George, Colorado|
|Music used||Russian Chant|
|Feastdays celebrated||1 Oct|
The community was founded in October 1993 under the auspices of His Grace Bishop Tikhon of San Francisco, Los Angeles and the West, as a pre-emptive response to changing demographics in the USA and that the Rocky Mountain region would be beneficial in a life of prayer.
The community consists of women living the monastic tradition of a Christ-centered prayer life for the monastic members. To support the community the women mount icon prints, make prayer ropes, speak at retreats and conferences, and write and publish books. Because gardening is impossible at the elevation of the monastery, the sisters raise chickens so as to sell fresh eggs.
- Daily: 5:30am - Matins and First Hour
- 5:00pm - Ninth Hour and Vespers
- 8:00pm - Compline
- Saturday and eves of great feasts: 5:00pm - Vigil
- Oct 1993: Monastery Established. Sisterhood rented small house in Calhan while fundraising.
- 1995: Present location of monastery purchased: 10.3 acres, with 3000 square foot house, in mountains west of Pikes Peak.
- Sept: Sisterhood moved to property. Garage converted to chapel, house remodeled to better suit the sisterhood.
- 1999: 3.5 acres of forest land added to monastery.
- 2000: Monastery began raising chickens to sell eggs.
- 2001: Small guest wing added.
- Monastery Newsletter: The Veil
- Orthodox Prayer Book
- Come, Follow Me
- The Life of St Spiridon
- Elder Cleopa: In the Tradition of St Paisius Velichkovsky