Personal and Private Prayer
The Jesus Prayer
The Jesus Prayer is a short contemplative prayer.
- See full article: Jesus Prayer.
The Our Father
- See full article: Our Father.
Prayer for the dead
The deceased are remembered at a special service called "Saturday of the Souls" held four times a year: the two Saturdays prior to Great Lent, the first Saturday of Great Lent, and the Saturday before Pentecost. Orthodox believe that it is the duty of the living to remember and pray for the deceased. A general prayer is said for specific individuals and all unknown souls who have no one to pray for them. Parishoners bring small dishes of kollyva to the church and submit a list of first names of the deceased loved ones to the priest.
- Prayer as an Important Aspect of Our Spiritual Life by Monk Moses in Athonite Flowers. Brookline, MA: Holy Cross Orthodox Press, 1999.
- What is Prayer? from the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America Department of Religious Education in Orthodox Prayer Book: My Holy Pascha, April 14, 1985. Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America.
- Prayer to the Saints from the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America
- Mary / Prayer / Death from the Orthodox Church in America website
- Prayer in the Orthodox Christian Church from the website of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia