Philotheou Monastery (Athos)

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
m
(Added Greek spelling)
(17 intermediate revisions by 12 users not shown)
Line 2: Line 2:
 
name=Holy Monastery of Philotheou|
 
name=Holy Monastery of Philotheou|
 
rank=Twelfth|
 
rank=Twelfth|
type=Cenobitic Monastery|
+
type=[[Cenobitic]] Monastery|
 
founded=Last quarter of tenth century|
 
founded=Last quarter of tenth century|
 
superior=''unknown''|
 
superior=''unknown''|
size=''unknown''|
+
size=79 monks (at 1990)|
location=''unknown''|
+
location=Northeast|
 
language=Greek|
 
language=Greek|
 
music=[[Byzantine chant]]|
 
music=[[Byzantine chant]]|
feasts=''unknown''|
+
feasts=[[March 25|Annunciation]]|
 
}}
 
}}
The '''Monastery of Philotheou''' is one of twenty monasteries on the [[Mount Athos]] peninsula and is located on the eastern side of the peninsula. It is twelfth in hierarchical rank among the monasteries. The name of 'Philotheou' is named after its founder, St Philotheos, and is derived from two Greek words which mean 'Beloved of God'.  Philotheou functions as a coenobitic monastery.
+
[[Image:John-Chrysostom-right-hand.jpg|thumb|right|Right hand of St [[John Chrysostom]]]]
 +
The '''Monastery of Philotheou''' (Greek: Φιλοθέου) is one of twenty monasteries on the [[Mount Athos]] peninsula and is located on the eastern side of the peninsula. It is twelfth in hierarchical rank among the monasteries. The name of 'Philotheou' is named after its founder, St Philotheos, and is derived from two Greek words which mean 'Beloved of God'.  Philotheou functions as a coenobitic monastery.
  
 
==History==
 
==History==
 
Founded by St Philotheos in the last quarter of the tenth century, it was obscure until Serbian and Bulgarian [[monk]]s settled there between the fourteenth and sixteenth centuries.  As the Slav monks left, the monastery again became obscure; until the eighteenth century, when the Greek princes of Moldavia and Wallachia made grants to the [[monastery]], with which the brotherhood had guest quarters, cells and [[chapel]]s built.
 
Founded by St Philotheos in the last quarter of the tenth century, it was obscure until Serbian and Bulgarian [[monk]]s settled there between the fourteenth and sixteenth centuries.  As the Slav monks left, the monastery again became obscure; until the eighteenth century, when the Greek princes of Moldavia and Wallachia made grants to the [[monastery]], with which the brotherhood had guest quarters, cells and [[chapel]]s built.
  
In 1746, the central church was built, and over the next thirty years had fresco's painted, including the Mother of God Glykofiloussa and scenes from [[Book of Revelations|Revelations]].  Additionally, there are ten chapels connected to the monastery, four inside the monastery proper and six outside.
+
In 1746, the central church was built, and over the next thirty years had fresco's painted, including the Mother of God Glykofiloussa and scenes from [[Book of Revelation|Revelation]].  Additionally, there are ten chapels connected to the monastery, four inside the monastery proper and six outside.
  
 
At 1990, there were seventy-nine monks.
 
At 1990, there were seventy-nine monks.
Line 31: Line 32:
 
*[http://www.macedonian-heritage.gr/Athos/General/monasteries.html  Athos monasteries]
 
*[http://www.macedonian-heritage.gr/Athos/General/monasteries.html  Athos monasteries]
  
[[Category: Monasteries]]
+
[[Category:Monasteries]]
[[Category: Greek Monasteries]]
+
[[Category:Greek Monasteries]]
[[Category: Athonite Monasteries]]
+
[[Category:Athonite Monasteries]]
 +
 
 +
[[el:Ιερά Μονή Φιλόθεου]]
 +
[[fr:Monastère de Philotheou]]
 +
[[ro:Mănăstirea Filotheu (Muntele Athos)]]

Revision as of 08:43, November 11, 2009

Holy Monastery of Philotheou
Rank or attached monastery Twelfth
Type of community Cenobitic Monastery
Founded Last quarter of tenth century
Superior unknown
Approx. size 79 monks (at 1990)
Location Northeast
Liturgical language(s) Greek
Music used Byzantine chant
Feastdays celebrated Annunciation
Right hand of St John Chrysostom

The Monastery of Philotheou (Greek: Φιλοθέου) is one of twenty monasteries on the Mount Athos peninsula and is located on the eastern side of the peninsula. It is twelfth in hierarchical rank among the monasteries. The name of 'Philotheou' is named after its founder, St Philotheos, and is derived from two Greek words which mean 'Beloved of God'. Philotheou functions as a coenobitic monastery.

Contents

History

Founded by St Philotheos in the last quarter of the tenth century, it was obscure until Serbian and Bulgarian monks settled there between the fourteenth and sixteenth centuries. As the Slav monks left, the monastery again became obscure; until the eighteenth century, when the Greek princes of Moldavia and Wallachia made grants to the monastery, with which the brotherhood had guest quarters, cells and chapels built.

In 1746, the central church was built, and over the next thirty years had fresco's painted, including the Mother of God Glykofiloussa and scenes from Revelation. Additionally, there are ten chapels connected to the monastery, four inside the monastery proper and six outside.

At 1990, there were seventy-nine monks.

Possessions

Philotheou possesses the wonderworking icon of the Mother of God Gerontissa, and it's library has 250 manuscript codices and two parchment rolls of the Divine Liturgy. The sacristy contains a piece of the True Cross and the right hand of St John Chrysostom, among other relics.

Saints, Elders and Public Figures

nb. only those with articles are listed

External links

Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox
In other languages