Patriarchal Exarchate of Patmos

From OrthodoxWiki
Revision as of 16:38, May 4, 2008 by Ixthis888 (Talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search

The Patriarchal Exarchate of Patmos (Greek Πάτμος) is the small Greek island pf Patmos, also referred to as the Jerusalem of the Aegean Sea, since it is the island of ascetic austerity. This exarchate belongs to the Patriarchate of Constantinople.

Contents

History

Patmos is the northernmost island of the Dodecanese and is populated with churches and communities of Orthodox Christians. From the very earliest times, Orthodox tradition has associated Patmos with St. John the Theologian; on this island is the cave of his exile and from where he wrote the Book of Revelation. More specifically, it is remembered as the place where he recorded his vision from Jesus that came to us as the Book of Revelation. Revelation was written as an exhortation to the Christian believers to stay true to their faith during the persecutions near the end of the first century.[1]

The whole island is dominated by the two monasteries, built in his honour and memory, and Chora, the island’s historic center, are all declared World Heritage sites by UNESCO in 2006.

Monastery of St. John the Theologian

The Monastery of Saint John the Theologian was founded by St. Christodoulos the Latrinos 1088 ad, who had been granted the whole island of Patmos with a golden bull by the Emperor of Byzantium Alexis I Komninos. The monastery belongs to the Ecumenical Patriarchate; and is therefore a Patriarchal exarchate with a Patriarchal exarch, its abbot had special benefits.

The Monastery has ten chapels, four of which are located in its yard. In the Catholic of the monastery, there is a temple of unique art, created in 1829, by 12 sculptors.

Cave of the Apocalypse

The Cave of the Apocalypse is situated between Skala and Chora. The view from the cave and the mysticism of the atmosphere are incredible. When he first arrived in Patmos, Christodoulos the Latrinos refurbished the cave. Today, a pilgrim can see the place at which the Apocalypse was written, the place where St. John stayed, the massive rock that opened up in there and through which God dictated the Apocalypse to St. John, the point were the Evangelist lay his head to rest and a curve on the rock, which he would hold onto, in order to rise - the southern part of the cave has been turned into a church.

List of Churches and Monasteries

Saints and Monastics

Notes

  1. P. N. Tarazi, The New Testament - Introduction, Vol. 3 - Johannine Writings, St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, Crestwood, New York, 2004 ISBN 0-88141-264-3

External link

Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox