Parishes in Australia (OCA)
|Line 26:||Line 26:|
Originally, three parishes were formed out of this split in ROCOR: the above two, and
Originally, three parishes were formed out of this split in ROCOR: the above two, and , Nicholas Orthodox Church, Bankstown, New South Wales, led by [[Archimandrite]] Veniamin.
the [[Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia and New Zealand]] , to use Church Slavonic in the Liturgy and to follow the Julian (Old) Calendar
Revision as of 21:19, May 22, 2006
The Orthodox Church in America - Parishes in Australia is the grouping applied to the churches who, in 1971, left ROCOR and asked to be taken under the OCA's protection. It is directly under the Metropolitan of the OCA (currently Metropolitan Herman), and has two churches in Australia.
|Parishes in Australia|
|Diocese type||Administrative District|
|Current bishop||Metr. Herman, administrator|
|Headquarters||Syosset, New York State, USA|
|Territory||Qld and NSW, Australia|
|Liturgical language(s)||Slavonic and English|
|Musical tradition||Russian Chant|
|Calendar||Revised Julian, Julian|
|Official website||Parishes in Australia|
Some history is provided on the OCA Parish Listing for St. Michael Orthodox Church
The OCA Parishes in Australia is an administrative grouping of two churches.
- Holy Annunciation Orthodox Church, Woolloongabba, Queensland.
- St. Michael Orthodox Church, Homebush, New South Wales.
Originally, three parishes were formed out of this split in ROCOR: the above two, and the first, Saint Nicholas Orthodox Church, Bankstown, New South Wales, led by Archimandrite Veniamin.
Following the repose of Archm. Veniamin, OCA was unable to appoint a replacement priest.
Bp Gibran of the Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia and New Zealand was approached by the parish council and asked if he could assist. He was able to supply a Slavonic usage priest, Fr Mitko Machevski. The parish later formally changed jurisdiction to the Church of Antioch. Fr Mitko Machevski was then formally appointed parish priest. The parish continues its use of Church Slavonic in the Liturgy and continues to follow the Julian (Old) Calendar.
In 2004, at the instigation of Met Abp Paul, the parish purchased the land its church is built on from the NSW government. The property is held in trust for the parish by the Antiochian Orthodox Church Property Trust.
|This article forms part of the series|
|Edit this box|
- Metropolitan Herman (Swaiko) of Washington and New York, administrator of the parishes in Australia.
- Sylvester (Haruns), Archbishop of Montreal and Canada, 1963-1981, administrator of the parishes in Australia, 1972-1981.
- Website of the Parishes in Australia (on the OCA website)
- Australian Orthodox Fraternity of St. Michael (the church in Homebush, Sydney, New South Wales)
- Holy Annunciation Orthodox Church (the church in Woolloongabba, Brisbane, Queensland)
- Saint Nicholas Bankstown (the church formerly in this grouping)