Panagia of Tinos

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
m (Editing history)
m (added More history ...)
Line 10: Line 10:
 
This large church is made of marble, sourced from the islands of Tinos and also from Paros, with traces of green-venied Tiniot stone. Outside, it has an architecturally distinctive bell tower which was built in 1824. The courtyard of the church is paved with pebble  
 
This large church is made of marble, sourced from the islands of Tinos and also from Paros, with traces of green-venied Tiniot stone. Outside, it has an architecturally distinctive bell tower which was built in 1824. The courtyard of the church is paved with pebble  
  
====Inside====
+
====Museum====
 +
Within the walls of the church are various museums and galleries. To the left is a gallery for 19th-century religious art, there is also a gallery housing Byzantine icons and also various offices. Another gallery is the sculpture museum which is up the flight of stairs. There is also a small Archaeological museum just below the cathedral.
  
 
==External Sources==
 
==External Sources==

Revision as of 17:18, February 21, 2008

The church and icon of the Panagia Evangelistria of Tinos (Our Lady of Good Tidings) is a the most venerated religious icons in all of Greece. It is located on the island of Tinos in the Cyclades of Greece. The icon is a beautiful portrayal of the Virgin Mary kneeling with her head bent in prayer. Their are four major festival days are commemorated in association with this icon and church: January 30, the annniversary of finding the icon; March 25, the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary; July 23, the anniversary of the vision of the nun Pelagia; and August 15, the Assumption of the Virgin Mary.

Contents

History

This icon is regarded as being older than the Byzantine period. Many scholars regard this icon to even be the work of the Apostle and Evangelist Luke. It is assumed that this icon was so highly esteemed in the Byzantine era it was either hidden or lost around the time of the Moslem invasions. The icon was rediscovered miraculously and the construction of a church was begun and completed by 1830. Even before this church was finished, pilgrims started visiting the island of Tinos from all of Greece. Numerous reports of miracles have increased the fame of this Church to the point that this is the most venerated icon in all of Greece.

the Vision of nun Pelagia

According to the tradition, in 1822 a nun of Tinos, named Pelagia, dreamed that a miraculous icon was buried nearby. Pelagia led her neighbors to the place she had seen in her dream, and when they began to dig, they discovered the remains of a Byzantine church with the icon inside.

The Evangelistria Church

This large church is made of marble, sourced from the islands of Tinos and also from Paros, with traces of green-venied Tiniot stone. Outside, it has an architecturally distinctive bell tower which was built in 1824. The courtyard of the church is paved with pebble

Museum

Within the walls of the church are various museums and galleries. To the left is a gallery for 19th-century religious art, there is also a gallery housing Byzantine icons and also various offices. Another gallery is the sculpture museum which is up the flight of stairs. There is also a small Archaeological museum just below the cathedral.

External Sources

Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox