Tradition tells of this icon that the original expression on the faces of the figures and position of the bodies of Christ and the Blessed Virgin changed when the following strange miracle occurred: when pirates had secretly landed on the shore of the monastery and were hiding, waiting for the gates to open in the morning in order to launch an attack, the Abbot, who had remained behind alone after the end of Matins in order to continue his prayer, heard these words from the icon of the Blessed Virgin: "Do not open the gates of the Monastery today, but go up on the walls and drive away the pirates." As he turned to look, he saw the Holy child stretch out His hand and cover the mouth of His mother, saying, "No, Mother, let them be punished as they deserve." But the Blessed Virgin, taking Her Son's hand in Hers and turning Her head a little to free her mouth, repeated the same words. This last arrangement of the figures has remained permanently on the icon. The monks, miraculously saved from the pirates, gave thanks to the Theotokos and named this icon "Paramythia," which means "calming down" or "restrain," words which equally convey the content of the miracle. The icon is a wall-painting and is on the right choir of the chapel named after it. 
Churches dedicated to Paramythia
- Church of the Theotokos Paramythia, «Palace of the Wallachians, Vlach Saray» (Constantinople). This was the location of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople from 1587 to 1597.
- Chapel of Panagia Paramythia, the Monastic Brotherhood of St Theodore the Studite House 449 Portland Way South, Galion OH (USA) - www.sttheodore.org/house.htm
Monasteries dedicated to Paramythia
- The Holy Monastery of Vatopaidi, Mount Athos (Greece) - location of original.
- The Holy Monastery of Panagia Paramythea, and church, in the city of Paramythia(Greece). This monastery had a cupola which protects the cross, and is covered by ceramic ornaments ... It was built in 14th century ... The church was built to honor the memory of Panagia. Paramythia took its name from the temple (which in ancient Greek means comforter).
- The Holy Monastery of Eliakon, Cyprus - Icon has weeped myrrh.
Location of other copies
- Kykko Monastery, Cyprus - On 1st Feb 1997, this copy was witnessed to have tears flowing down both her and Christ's eyes by a novice monk ... read more, Here
Supplicatory Canon to Panagia Paramythia
There is one CD, circulated by the monks of the Vatopaidi Monastery (Mt Athos) with the Supplicatory Canon hymns for this icon (25 tracks chanted in Greek with total time of 68:50) has been made available for sale on the Internet for people to purchase.
- Our Mother of Consolation (non-Orthodox Source)