The Panagia Hodegetria or "Directress" icon depicts the Virgin Mary presenting her son to the viewer and with her hand she is gesturing towards him, pointing to Christ as 'The Way'. The term 'Hodegetria' is Greek and translates to the 'One who Shows the Way'. In this icon, although the Virgin Mary is the largest subject, the principal image in the icon is Christ. His presence is like that of an adult.
The earliest prototype of this icon dates from around the mid 6th Century. The Mt Athos prototype measures approximately 19" high by 13" wide and has long been in the Katholikon of the Monastery of Vatopedi, on the column of the left choir. In 1730, however, it suddenly disappeared from its place, although the gates of the Monastery were locked, and was found at the Monastery of Xenophontos. Everyone thought that someone had secretly stolen it, and so the icon was brought back to its old place, while the Vatopedi fathers took stricter precautions and locked the church. A short while afterwards when the church was opened for service, the icon was again missing from its place, and soon afterwards news arrived from the Xenophontos Monastery that it was again in the same place in the katholikon there. The Vatopedi monks were now convinced that this was a miracle and determined to withstand the will of the Theotokos no longer. They hastened to Xenophontos to reverence the "hodeghetria," and for a long time afterwards used to send oil and wax for her in her new home.