Panagia Hodegetria

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 2: Line 2:
  
 
==History of the icon==
 
==History of the icon==
:''This icon had long been in the [[Katholikon]] of the Monastery of [[Vatopedi]], on the column of the left choir. In 1730, however, it suddenly disappeared from its place, although the gates of the Monastery were locked, and was found at the Monastery of [[Xenophontos]]. Everyone thought that someone had secretely stolen it, and so the icon was brought back to its old place, while the Vatopedi fathers took stricter precautions and locked the church. A short while afterwards when the church was opened for service, the icon was again missing from its place, and soon afterwards news arrived from the Xenophontos Monastery that it was again in the same place in the katholikon there. The Vatopedi monks were now convinced that this was a miracle and determined to withstand the will of the Theotokos no longer. They hastened to Xenophontos to reverence the “hodeghetria”, and for a long time afterwards used to send oil and wax for her in her new home.''<ref>[http://http://www.mountathos.gr/active.aspx?mode=en{e556973f-12fd-414d-b419-8331759c7d9f}View Hodegetria - Monastery of Xenophontos]</ref>
+
:''This icon had long been in the [[Katholikon]] of the Monastery of [[Vatopaidi Monastery (Athos)|Vatopedi]], on the column of the left choir. In 1730, however, it suddenly disappeared from its place, although the gates of the Monastery were locked, and was found at the Monastery of [[Xenophontos Monastery (Athos)|Xenophontos]]. Everyone thought that someone had secretely stolen it, and so the icon was brought back to its old place, while the Vatopedi fathers took stricter precautions and locked the church. A short while afterwards when the church was opened for service, the icon was again missing from its place, and soon afterwards news arrived from the Xenophontos Monastery that it was again in the same place in the katholikon there. The Vatopedi monks were now convinced that this was a miracle and determined to withstand the will of the Theotokos no longer. They hastened to Xenophontos to reverence the “hodeghetria”, and for a long time afterwards used to send oil and wax for her in her new home.''<ref>[http://http://www.mountathos.gr/active.aspx?mode=en{e556973f-12fd-414d-b419-8331759c7d9f}View Hodegetria - Monastery of Xenophontos]</ref>
 
<!---
 
<!---
 
==History of the icon==
 
==History of the icon==

Revision as of 21:03, January 31, 2008

The Panagia Hodegetria or "Directress" icon.

History of the icon

This icon had long been in the Katholikon of the Monastery of Vatopedi, on the column of the left choir. In 1730, however, it suddenly disappeared from its place, although the gates of the Monastery were locked, and was found at the Monastery of Xenophontos. Everyone thought that someone had secretely stolen it, and so the icon was brought back to its old place, while the Vatopedi fathers took stricter precautions and locked the church. A short while afterwards when the church was opened for service, the icon was again missing from its place, and soon afterwards news arrived from the Xenophontos Monastery that it was again in the same place in the katholikon there. The Vatopedi monks were now convinced that this was a miracle and determined to withstand the will of the Theotokos no longer. They hastened to Xenophontos to reverence the “hodeghetria”, and for a long time afterwards used to send oil and wax for her in her new home.[1]

Reference

  1. Hodegetria - Monastery of Xenophontos


This article or section is a stub (i.e., in need of additional material). You can help OrthodoxWiki by expanding it.
Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox