OrthodoxWiki talk:Logo Submissions
(→Any matching OrthodoxWiki Favicon?: - HappyGrevling's favicon.ico ready!)
m (→Any matching OrthodoxWiki Favicon?)
|(One intermediate revision by one user not shown)|
|Line 51:||Line 51:|
Latest revision as of 13:36, November 19, 2005
Note: Previous discussion has been archived
I'd like to thank everyone once again for their submissions. I'm grateful for all the time and effort people put into this. I'm also encouraged by seeing everyone's enthusiam for OrthodoxWiki. I wish I could award everyone a prize!
It's nice to see something of a consensus emerging with regard to HappyGrevling's "SealLogo1." I concur with this judgment. I think it looks dignified and professional, while capturing the Orthodox character and international scope of OrthodoxWiki. It's challenging to produce not only something that is of professional qulity, but also something which really captures the mission.
My only hesitation is that I'd love to see it brightened up a bit, especially the greenish band behind the letters. We could definitely work with it as is, though. According to Joe's suggestion, I'd also like to ask if H.G. would be willing to donate the black and white version for use on letterhead.
I'd like to give runner-up recognition to a number of others too:
- I'd like to ask User:Baker if he would be willing to donate his logos for possible use as a decoration for future printed publications.
- I'd like to ask User:Rublevpupil if he would be willing to donate his logos, especially #2 for use as a promotional link button.
- I would like to suggest that User:Raphael make his first logo available to the fledgling CopticWiki if they are interested.
- I'd also like to ask "a friend of Magda" if he'd be willing to donate "DEOWlogo2.png" as a possible link button as well.
Of course, if anyone else would like to formally donate their logos to OrthodoxWiki, we'd love to be keep them on hand for any future use. We don't want OWiki's visual identity to become too dispersed, but who knows what will come up?
Thanks again to everybody! Yours in Christ, Fr. John 14:19, November 16, 2005 (CST)
Any matching OrthodoxWiki Favicon?
This is now fully supported in Internet Explorer 7 (not just when you bookmark a page, but also in the tabs and address bar).
--Arbible 16:05, November 16, 2005 (CST)
- Yep, I was thinking about that too. If you'd like to submit something that's great. Not sure what the best approach would be to reducing the new logo to 16 x 16! If we come up with something nice, I'll stick it into the new Firefox searchbar extension too! Fr. John
- P.S. I just submitted this to Mozilla for inclusion in the Firefox search plugins page (http://mycroft.mozdev.org/).
- P.P.S. Hey! It's already up there -- cool! (See http://mycroft.mozdev.org/download.html?name=orthodox&submitform=Find+search+plugins)
- P.P.P.S. Hey, thanks for the WikiCities Logo Contest link. I had no idea other wiki projects were doing this kind of thing.
- > If you'd like to submit something that's great
- Thanks Father and congratulations on the new look! I would receive a blessing by doing so, but I am not a graphic designer (you can tell from my very humble contributions sent to you some weeks ago via a 'logo submission' Hotmail account: the anonymous OOO WWW Logo and Circle Logos :-).
- I can resize the current logo to 16X16 in PaintShop Pro, but as you have rightly mentioned, this won't produce good results. Perhaps HappyGrevling can quickly design a 16X16 matching icon with just the circle and the cross inside it (and maybe also using fewer colours)? Microsoft and other interested parties provide detailed guidelines on how to produce such "miniature" versions by reducing icon detail and focusing on distinguishing features, etc. (for Windows XP and the forthcoming Vista, but the same principles would apply to favicons)
- I personally liked Baker's second icon for its elegance and simplicity, and the way it uses different shades of the same colours. However, I think HappyGrevling's winning logo "really captures the mission" of OrthodoxWiki in a far better way than any of the other submissions.
- With my prayerful best wishes, --Arbible 18:23, November 16, 2005 (CST)
- Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. I agree that there were a lot of excellent logo submisisons. I just created and uploaded a .png image we could use as a favicon (not sure how to make it a .ico). - HappyGrevling
I have successfully converted your file using the above tool, but the system won't allow me to upload it. You can retrieve it from (right-click to save): http://staff.bath.ac.uk/mpsmnkb/Temp/favicon.ico
(It should be copied to the root folder of OrthodoxWiki.)
- Thanks everyboyd. I'll work on this soon. Fr. John
OK. Finally figured this out -- the .htaccess file was interfering with the template accessing the favicon. Anyway, I also downloaded a free little program called Iconomaker in order the make the background transparent instead of white. Finally, I've changed the icon for Firefox/Mycroft search plugin too (using a transparent .gif), and sent an update to the Mozilla site. You may have to clear your browser's cache to see the new favicon. If you already have the search plugin enabled and want the new icon, you have to find your Firefox/Mozilla profile and delere the OrthodoxWiki entries in the "searchplugins" folder. If you don't have it already, why not? You can get it from here.