Welcome! We're glad you're here.
OrthodoxWiki was inaugurated in November 2004.
What is OrthodoxWiki? (i.e. what it aspires to)
- It's a wiki.
- It's a wiki-community. Personal pages and opinions are welcome as long as they are marked and in the proper place.
- It's an Orthodox mind-meld.
- A communal project.
- It's international in scope
- It's pan-Orthodox
- It's an encyclopedia
- It's an Orthodox knowledge-management system
- It has many audiences - It's a resource for non-Orthodox as well as Orthodox clergy and laity
- It's a discussion forum with attention to the development of documentation to help clarify / articulate some fundamental issues in Church Life.
Although OrthodoxWiki contains many links to external sites, we hope it will be much more than a human edited directory. Encyclopedia-like articles are considered a valuable part of this enterprise. The most fundamental aspect of all this is the consolidation of a knowledge landscape within Orthodoxy.
OrthodoxWiki shines in the way difficult and/or divisive topics are worked out, articulated in descriptive pro and con formats, complete with an outline of different thinkers and their arguments. A solid descriptive overview of some of these controversies simply does not exist, at least in English. In cases of disagreement, OrthodoxWiki hopes to push its users towards a constructive conversation on polemicized issues which threaten to, and in fact do, divide Orthodox Christians.
What OrthodoxWiki is not
It is graciously hosted by Orthodox Internet Services.