What is OrthodoxWiki? (i.e. what it aspires to)
- It's a wiki.
- It's a wiki-community. Personal pages and opinions are welcome as long as they are marked and in the proper place.
- It's an Orthodox mind-meld.
- A communal project.
- It's an encyclopedia
- A simple Orthodox knowledge-management system
- It has many audiences - It's a resource for non-Orthodox as well as Orthodox clergy and laity
- It's a discussion forum with attention to the development of documentation to help clarify / articulate some fundamental issues in Church Life.
Hopes to be more than a human edited directory. Wikipedia-like / Encyclopedia like articles on various topics will be considered a valuable part of this enterprise. The most fundamental aspect of all this is the consolidation of a knowledge landscape within Orthodoxy.
This project will shine in the way difficult and/or divisive topics are worked out, articulated hopefully in descriptive pro and con formats, complete with an outline of different thinkers and their arguments. A solid descriptive overview of some of these things simply does not exist, at least in English. This could be the most important contibution of this OrthodoxWiki project. This would be a push towards a constructive conversation on polemicized issues which threaten to, and in fact do, divide Orthodox Christians.