|Line 1:||Line 1:|
The Venerable Father '''Nikanor (
The Venerable Father '''Nikanor () of Athos, Australia and New Zealand''' was the [[Abbot]] of [[Chilandari Monastery (Athos)|Hilandar]] before moving to Australia to pacify the [[schism]] between the Patriarchal Diocese and the New Gracanica Metropolitanate's Diocese. He reposed in 1990, was [[glorification|glorified]] by the[[ Church of Serbia]] around 2010, and celebrated each year on [[March 4]] (both calendars). As at October 2011, he is the first and only glorified Saint connected with Australia.
Revision as of 04:52, September 3, 2012
|This article forms part of the series|
Orthodoxy in Australia
|Orthodoxy in Australia Timeline |
Statistics of Orthodoxy in Australia
Gk Orthodox Archd. of ANZ
|GOA Aus - Abp Stylianos|
Antiochian - Met Abp Paul
ROCOR - Met Hilarion
Serbian - Bp Irinej
Romanian - Bp Michael
Without local bishop
| Antiochian Orthodox |
Greek Orthodox (Aus)
O.L. of Kazan
|Proph. Elias |
St John Mtn
St Sava (Elaine)
|Edit this box|
The Venerable Father Nikanor (Savic) of Athos, Australia and New Zealand was the Abbot of Hilandar before moving to Australia to pacify the schism between the Patriarchal Diocese and the New Gracanica Metropolitanate's Diocese. He reposed in 1990, was glorified by the Church of Serbia around 2010, and celebrated each year on March 4 (both calendars). As at October 2011, he is the first and only glorified Saint connected with Australia.
- 1902: Elder Nikanor was born in Divci, near Valjevo.
- 1927: Nikanor went to Hilandar Monastery on Mount Athos.
- Elder Nikanor spent over 60 years on Hilandar, and was involved in such events as the Millenium of the Holy Mountain.
- Elder Nikanor had a profound reputation on Mt. Athos. He also inspired the construction of the first metochion of Hilandar, in Slanci near Belgrade, and in Banat, Niš.
- Elder Nikanor also launched a publishing business in the Church of Serbia, along with scholarships for students, seminarians and theologians.
- January 1990: Elder Nikanor left Athos when he was 88 on his last missionary trip: to "reconcile the brothers in conflict". As he said to then-Bishop of Banat, Amphilohije (Radovic), "I will go, even if I happen to stay there forever". He repeated often that there was one God, one Serbia, one time, one Church of St. Sava.
- Elder Nikanor laboured tirelessly for healing the schism between the Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Australia and New Zealand and the Serbian Orthodox Diocese for Australia and New Zealand (New Gracanica Metropolitanate). He visited many parishes in an effort to heal the wounds.
- Elder Nikanor asked that if he died in Serbia, to be buried around Niš (the Hilandar metochion); if in America, near Bp. Nikolai Velimirovic; if in Australia, near St. Sava's Monastery, Elaine.
- March 4, 1990: Elder Nikanor reposed in Sydney on the Sunday of Orthodoxy, after having visited the monastery at Tallong, NSW. His funeral was in St. Stefan's Church, Rooty Hill, and he was buried in St. Sava's Monastery, Elaine, Victoria, in the church of St. Alipy the Stylite.
- Because of Elder Nikanor's association with Hilandar and his body being buried at St. Sava's, the Monastery was styled 'New Hilandar' by Bp Amphilohije. The monastery was greatly boosted by Elder Nikanor's presence, even after his repose.
After Death and Glorification
- Multiple miracles have occured.
- Elder Nikanor has been sighted multiple times at the monastery, bathing the monastery in incense.
- Mr. Lysanko was healed of a tumour (seen at the last scan before surgery) after praying to Elder Nikanor.
- Multiple people have noted that a warmth comes out of the tomb of the Elder.
- Mr. Kefalidis was miraculously healed from a serious illness overnight.
- A service for Elder Nikanor was written by Fr. Marjan Knezevic, though rarely used.
- Icons were written of Elder Nikanor - in the pro-Cathedral at Mona Vale, in St. Stephen's Church in Rooty Hill (where his funeral was).
- The service for Saint Nikanor was compiled by Bp. Irenej of Australia and New Zealand.
Troparion, Tone 8 (untranslated):
- Стасавао си на светогорским путевима,
- У Хиландару светој царској лаври,
- Преподобни старче Никаноре.
- Дошавши као помиритељ и ујединитељ
- рода српскога у (далекој) Аустралији,
- Сведочећи нам љубав Христову
- и посветивши земљу нашу
- својим светим представљењем.
- Свете мошти твоје део су неба
- украшеног Јужним Крстом.
- Стога те народ твој крстоносни моли:
- моли Христа Бога
- да нас спасе и сачува у слози Његовој.
Kontakion, Tone 3 (untranslated):
- Радуј се најудаљенији светосавски манастире.
- Јер у теби се прослави про-игуман хиландарски –
- Старац Никанор светогорски и
- С тобом ликује све Православље Океаније,
- а ми духовна деца старчева сложно кличемо
- захвалним песмама Творцу свега света:
- да нас спасе његовим очинским молитивама.