Nicholas Shehadie

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
m (added links)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
{{orthodoxyinaustralasia}}
 
{{orthodoxyinaustralasia}}
  
The Very Reverend [[Exarch]] '''Nicholas Shehadie''' was the first [[priest]] of the [[Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia, New Zealand, and All Oceania|Antiochian Orthodox]] [[parish]]es in Australia between 1913 and 1934.
+
The Very Reverend [[Exarch]] '''Nicholas Shehadie''' was the first [[priest]] of the [[Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia, New Zealand, and All Oceania|Antiochian Orthodox]] [[parish]]es in Australia and New Zealand. He served in Australia and New Zealand from 1913 until his repose in 1934.
  
Born in the 1860s, Fr Nicholas Shehadie was sent in 1913 to Australia as Exarch to determine the extent of the problem and to find possible solutions. However, while this was intended to be temporary, World War I meant that Father Nicholas could not return to Lebanon where his family was; hence, his stay became permanent.  He realised the need for a church for the Antiochian Orthodox, and determined to built it, with [[Divine Liturgy|Divine Liturgies]] being held in parishioners' homes until that time.
+
In 1898 the Greek-speaking Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch and All the East was deposed for prohibiting church services in Arabic. His Arabic-speaking successor elected in 1899 was not recognised by the Patriarchate of Constantinople who agitated against all Arabic-speaking Orthodox. This resulted in a world-wide fracture between the Greek-speaking and the Arabic-speaking Orthodox.  
  
The State Government leased a block of land to the Church on the corner of Walker and Redfern Sts, and the first Antiochian Orthodox church was built and placed under the patronage of St George. This church is now the cathedral.
+
Until this fracture, relations between the two linguistic groupings had been most amicable. In Australia, until this fracture, both groups worked together to establish community churches for all Orthodox, regardless of linguistic or ethnic origin. The Russian-speaking Orthodox also suffered fallout following this fracture.  
  
Fr Nicholas sent for his family over a number of years, and the family came in stages: His sons George and Albert, and daughter Mary arrived first, followed by John and Pauline (16-year-old twins) in 1922, and then fully reunited with the arrival of his wife Alexandra, his son Elias, and his son Michael's family—wife Hannah, and baby girls Alexandra and Paulette.
+
In 1908 Constantinople removed the Orthodox churches in Australia from the jurisdiction of neutral Jerusalem, and gave them to the [[Church of Greece]] with the stipulation that all services were to be in Church Greek only.  This deprived the Arabic-speaking Orthodox and the Russian-speaking Orthodox of effective spiritual comfort.
  
In 1934, Exarch Nicholas Shehadie reposed, in his early 70s.
+
Born in 1862, Father Nicholas Shehadie was sent to Australia in 1913 as Patriarchal Exarch to determine the extent of the problem and to find possible solutions.  While this was intended to be temporary, World War I intervened, preventing Father Nicholas from returning to Lebanon and his family. After the war his stay became permanent and he exported his wife and children from Lebanon to Australia.
  
Later, his second son, [[Michael Shehadie|Michael]], became a priest; and then another son, [[John Shehadie|John]], became a priest.
+
He realised the need for a church for the Syrian Orthodox (as they were then known), and determined to build it, with [[Divine Liturgy|Divine Liturgies]] being held in parishioners' homes until that time.
 +
 
 +
In 1920, the State Government leased a block of land to the Church on the corner of Walker and Redfern Streets Redfern, and the first Syrian (later Antiochian) Orthodox church was built and placed under the patronage of Saint George.  This church was demolished by the State Government shortly after the last worship service there on 14 May 1950. In October 1953 a replacement church was opened on the corner of Walker and Cooper Streets Redfern. This church is now the Antiochian Orthodox cathedral for Australia, New Zealand, and All Oceania.
 +
 
 +
Father Nicholas sent for his family over a number of years, and the family came in stages. His sons George and Albert, and daughter Mary arrived first, followed by John and Pauline (16-year-old twins) in 1922, and then fully reunited with the arrival of his wife Alexandra, his son Elias, and his son Michael's family - wife Hannah, and baby girls Alexandra and Paulette.
 +
 
 +
On 15 May 1934, Exarch Nicholas Shehadie reposed as a result of an asthma attack, aged 72. The funeral service held at Saint George Redfern, was presided over by Greek Orthodox Metropolitan of Australia Timotheous. Burial was at Botany Cemetery.
 +
 
 +
Following his father's repose his second son, [[Michael Shehadie|Michael]], was ordained priest, and succeeded his father as parish priest of Saint George Redfern. Later another son, [[John Shehadie|John]], became a priest.
  
  
Line 19: Line 27:
 
title=Exarch of Australia<br>([[Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia, New Zealand, and All Oceania|Church of Antioch]])|
 
title=Exarch of Australia<br>([[Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia, New Zealand, and All Oceania|Church of Antioch]])|
 
years=1913-1934|
 
years=1913-1934|
after=Fr [[Malatius Hussney (Sydney)|Malatius Hussney]]}}
+
after=Fr [[Michael Shehadie]]}}
 
{{end box}}
 
{{end box}}
  

Revision as of 17:03, May 23, 2006

This article forms part of the series
Orthodoxy in
Australasia
Australasia.gif
History
Orthodoxy in Australia Timeline
Orthodoxy in New Zealand Timeline
Antiochian Orthodox
Gk Orthodox Archd. of ANZ
Jurisdictions
GOA Aus - Abp Stylianos
Antiochian - Met Abp Paul
ROCOR - Met Hilarion
Serbian - Bp Irinej
Romanian - Bp Michael
GOM NZ - Met Amphilochios

Bishopless Jurisdictions

Pan-Orthodox Synaxes
Episcopal Assembly of Oceania
SCCOCA
Institutions
Antiochian Orthodox
Greek Orthodox (Aus)
Notable Monasteries
Complete List
St Anna
Holy Cross
Gorgoepikoos
O.L. of Kazan
Presentation
Proph. Elias
St John Mtn
Pantanassa
St Sava (Elaine)
Transfiguration
Archangels, NZ
Edit this box


The Very Reverend Exarch Nicholas Shehadie was the first priest of the Antiochian Orthodox parishes in Australia and New Zealand. He served in Australia and New Zealand from 1913 until his repose in 1934.

In 1898 the Greek-speaking Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch and All the East was deposed for prohibiting church services in Arabic. His Arabic-speaking successor elected in 1899 was not recognised by the Patriarchate of Constantinople who agitated against all Arabic-speaking Orthodox. This resulted in a world-wide fracture between the Greek-speaking and the Arabic-speaking Orthodox.

Until this fracture, relations between the two linguistic groupings had been most amicable. In Australia, until this fracture, both groups worked together to establish community churches for all Orthodox, regardless of linguistic or ethnic origin. The Russian-speaking Orthodox also suffered fallout following this fracture.

In 1908 Constantinople removed the Orthodox churches in Australia from the jurisdiction of neutral Jerusalem, and gave them to the Church of Greece with the stipulation that all services were to be in Church Greek only. This deprived the Arabic-speaking Orthodox and the Russian-speaking Orthodox of effective spiritual comfort.

Born in 1862, Father Nicholas Shehadie was sent to Australia in 1913 as Patriarchal Exarch to determine the extent of the problem and to find possible solutions. While this was intended to be temporary, World War I intervened, preventing Father Nicholas from returning to Lebanon and his family. After the war his stay became permanent and he exported his wife and children from Lebanon to Australia.

He realised the need for a church for the Syrian Orthodox (as they were then known), and determined to build it, with Divine Liturgies being held in parishioners' homes until that time.

In 1920, the State Government leased a block of land to the Church on the corner of Walker and Redfern Streets Redfern, and the first Syrian (later Antiochian) Orthodox church was built and placed under the patronage of Saint George. This church was demolished by the State Government shortly after the last worship service there on 14 May 1950. In October 1953 a replacement church was opened on the corner of Walker and Cooper Streets Redfern. This church is now the Antiochian Orthodox cathedral for Australia, New Zealand, and All Oceania.

Father Nicholas sent for his family over a number of years, and the family came in stages. His sons George and Albert, and daughter Mary arrived first, followed by John and Pauline (16-year-old twins) in 1922, and then fully reunited with the arrival of his wife Alexandra, his son Elias, and his son Michael's family - wife Hannah, and baby girls Alexandra and Paulette.

On 15 May 1934, Exarch Nicholas Shehadie reposed as a result of an asthma attack, aged 72. The funeral service held at Saint George Redfern, was presided over by Greek Orthodox Metropolitan of Australia Timotheous. Burial was at Botany Cemetery.

Following his father's repose his second son, Michael, was ordained priest, and succeeded his father as parish priest of Saint George Redfern. Later another son, John, became a priest.


Succession box:
Nicholas Shehadie
Preceded by:
Exarch of Australia
(Church of Antioch)

1913-1934
Succeeded by:
Fr Michael Shehadie
Help with box


Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox