Nicephorus the Leper
Our venerable father Nicephorus the Leper (1890-1964) lived in the twentieth century as a monk in the leper colony of Chios. He was a disciple of St. Anthimos of Chios. The holy Synod of Constantinople of the Ecumenical Patriarchate in Constantinople glorified St. Nicephorus and added him to the calendar of commemorations on December 1, 2012. His feast day is celebrated on January 4.
Troparion (Tone 3)
- O venerable father Nicephorus the Leper,
- your struggles and courageous asceticism dumbfounded heaven's angels.
- Like another Job in pain,
- you endured and gave glory to God.
- And so, he arranged for you a resplendent crown of miracles.
- Rejoice, O guide of monastics!
- Rejoice, O prism of light!
- Rejoice, O delightful fragrance radiating from your relics!
Kontakion (Tone 2)
- O venerable father Nicephorus,
- shunning pain and bodily corruption,
- like a horse you gallop towards the heavens,
- the steadfast support of lepers.
- A brilliantly lit temple of God,
- your body shone in its illness.
- Hymns and photos: Mystagogy (John Sanidopoulos).
- Announcement (in Greek): Φος Φαναριου.
- The Righteous Nikephoros the Leper from the Metropolis of Kisamos and Selinon (Archdiocese of Crete)