Metropolitan Region of Paros
|This article is marked as in progress by Vasiliki, who is actively developing it. It has yet to achieve a stable or complete form and is currently being worked on. Please carefully consider before making major edits to this article.|
Churches of Paros
It is the smallest village of the island and is famous for its agricultural products. The settlements of Isterni and Marathi are also a part of Kostos, which is the birthplace of St. . Athanasios of Parios, Master of the Greek Nation.
The central church, St. George, is situated in Agairia. Other interesting churches in the same area include St. Nicholas, The Church of the Transfiguration of Christ, Aliki, St. George, Kamari and the small church of St. John the Theologian which was carved into a rock in Tripiti, a beach that you come across following the new road from Agairia to Drios. Their is also a monastery of St. Charalampus, on the way to Aneraja;this monastery has recently been refurbished.
The community of Archilochos is made up of two villages, Prodromos and Marmara. Just outside the village of Prodromos is the church of St. Spyridon. In Marmara there is a beautiful 17th century church dedicated to the Taxiarchis (Archangel Michael).
- Church of Parikia
In the alleys of this village, there are many small post-Byzantine churches, adjacent to the houses, which are masterpieces of local architecture. The most important of these are: Panagia of Septemvriani (with a relief bust of the Virgin Mary made in 1592); Panagia of Stavros (1514); St. Catherines; St. Onoufrios, St. Markos; St. Nicholas (on the waterfront); St. Anna ( on the hill); and St. Constantines (which is in the area of the castle), and is known as one of the most beautiful churches of the Aegean. The monastery of St. Anargyri is on a high hill and seems to embrace the whole town and the port. Fragomonastiro (built by the Capuchins in 1700), and a dilapidated Venetian church of Christ (in the area of the castle), bear evidence of the unsuccessful attempt of the Westerners to force their creed along with their political power on to the people of Paros. A few kilometers away from Parikia in the forest, their is monastery dedicated to Christ.
- The Church of Ekatontapiliani
- Chapel of St. Katherine
- Church of Ss. Anargyroi
- Church of the Holy Apostles, Kamares
Monasteries of Paros
- Holy Monastery of the Ss. Anargyroi
- Holy Monastery of St. Andrew
- Holy Monastery of Metamorphosis (Christ of "Dasos") and St. Arsenios
- Holy Monastery of St. Charalampus
- Holy Monastery of St. Anthony of Marpissis
- Holy Metropolis of Paronaxias official website (Greek only)