Metropolis of Paronaxia

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
m (add {{stub}})
m (History)
Line 2: Line 2:
  
 
== History ==
 
== History ==
 +
The islands of Naxos, Paros and Anti-Paros cut-off in 1083 from the [[Metropolis of Rhodes]] and were established as the '''Metropolitan of Paronaxia''', with the headquarters based in Naxos. Up until 1083, Naxos and Paros were simply Bishoprics.
  
{{stub}}
+
Christianity in Paronaxia spread during the early Christian period, and the bishoprics were considered among the original established churches, not just in Greece, but of all Christianity. Towads the end of the 4th century
  
Historically, the '''Metropolis of Paronaxia''' is considered one of the original [[metropolis]] not just in Greece but in all of Christianity. According to the holy tradition, St. [[Polycarp]], the disciple of St. [[John the Theologian]], visited Naxos and taught Christianity whilst John was in exile on the island of Patmos. To honour this tradition, the island has many churches and chapels dedicated to his honour, especially at the villages of Aggidia Sagri and Filoti, and there is also a church dedicated to John at Keramoti.
+
According to the holy tradition, St. [[Polycarp]], the disciple of St. [[John the Theologian]], visited Naxos and taught Christianity whilst John was in exile on the island of Patmos. To honour this tradition, the island has many churches and chapels dedicated to his honour, especially at the villages of Aggidia Sagri and Filoti, and there is also a church dedicated to John at Keramoti.
  
During the early Christian period, Naxos was assigned to the ecclesiastical jurisdiction of Rhodes. Tradition holds the St. [[Helen]] founded the [[Church of Panagia Ekatontapyliani - Hundred Doors (Paros)]] (literally: "church of the hundred doors") during her pilgrimage to the Holy Land 330-337.
+
Tradition holds the St. [[Helen]] founded the [[Church of Panagia Ekatontapyliani - Hundred Doors (Paros)]] (literally: "church of the hundred doors") during her pilgrimage to the Holy Land 330-337.
  
 
There is documented evidence that various Bishops from Naxos and from Paros participated at the [[Ecumenical Councils]] <ref> Example, Varahos, Bishop of Naxos participated at the 4th Ecumenical Council (451) </ref> and the Byzantine period was responsible for the erection, on the island, of many large beautiful churches.
 
There is documented evidence that various Bishops from Naxos and from Paros participated at the [[Ecumenical Councils]] <ref> Example, Varahos, Bishop of Naxos participated at the 4th Ecumenical Council (451) </ref> and the Byzantine period was responsible for the erection, on the island, of many large beautiful churches.

Revision as of 21:43, April 15, 2008

The Metropolis of Paronaxia, also referred to as the Diocese of Paronaxia, is under the jurisdiction of the Church of Greece. This diocese has 37 churches, 251 chapels, 18 cemeteries, 18 monasteries and around 35 clerics.

Contents

History

The islands of Naxos, Paros and Anti-Paros cut-off in 1083 from the Metropolis of Rhodes and were established as the Metropolitan of Paronaxia, with the headquarters based in Naxos. Up until 1083, Naxos and Paros were simply Bishoprics.

Christianity in Paronaxia spread during the early Christian period, and the bishoprics were considered among the original established churches, not just in Greece, but of all Christianity. Towads the end of the 4th century

According to the holy tradition, St. Polycarp, the disciple of St. John the Theologian, visited Naxos and taught Christianity whilst John was in exile on the island of Patmos. To honour this tradition, the island has many churches and chapels dedicated to his honour, especially at the villages of Aggidia Sagri and Filoti, and there is also a church dedicated to John at Keramoti.

Tradition holds the St. Helen founded the Church of Panagia Ekatontapyliani - Hundred Doors (Paros) (literally: "church of the hundred doors") during her pilgrimage to the Holy Land 330-337.

There is documented evidence that various Bishops from Naxos and from Paros participated at the Ecumenical Councils [1] and the Byzantine period was responsible for the erection, on the island, of many large beautiful churches.

In 1083, Naxos was promoted from the headquarters of a bishopric to that of a metropolitan see.

In 1207, the Franks came to the island, under Marco Sanudo, and conquered the Cyclades and founded the Duchy of the Aegean, of which Naxos was made the headquarters.

Naxos, like the rest of the Cyclades, was incorporated into the Greek state as soon as it was founded, in accordance with a protocol signed in 1830.

See also

World famous Church of Panagia Ekatontapyliani - a Hundred Doors

Metropolitan

The current Metropolitan of Paronaxia is His Emminence Ambriosios II (Stamenas) of Paronaxia, born in 1922 on the island of Paros. He was elected and consecrated as the current metropolitan in 1991, replacing His Emminence Epifanios (Kalafatis).

Regions

  1. Metropolitan Region of Paros
  2. Metropolitan Region of Naxos

Local Saints

Notes

  1. Example, Varahos, Bishop of Naxos participated at the 4th Ecumenical Council (451)
  2. What we know about St. Theoktisti we owe primarily to St. Symeon Metaphrastes ("the Translator"), renowned primarily for his Lives of the Saints (148 of them).
  3. Theoctiste is from Lesbos, however, due to the archaeological and historical importance of her association with the Church of Panagia Ekatontapyliani - Hundred Doors she is also classified as a Parian local saint.

See also

External Links


Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox
In other languages