Metropolis of Kythira
|This article is marked as in progress by Vasiliki, who is actively developing it. It has yet to achieve a stable or complete form and is currently being worked on. Please carefully consider before making major edits to this article.|
The Holy Metropolis of Kythira and Antikythera (Gr:Κύθηρα, Cythera, Kythera) is under the jurisdiction of the Church of Greece.
The Metropolis of Kythira has a total of 30 churches, 300 chapels, 30 cemetery churches and 4 monasteries.
- For more information, see main article: Panagia Myrtidiotissa
The Holy icon of Panagia Myrtidiotissa (The Virgin of the Myrtle Tree) was found by a sheperd in c. 1160. A monastery has been founded in that exact location and the icon and monastery celebrate August 15.
- Virgin-martyr St. Elessa of Kythera, d. 375 (August 1)
- St. Theodore of Korinth (May 12, 922) - his relics were found on Kythira and in 1630 Bishop Athanasius (Valerianos) of Kythira founded a church in honour of this saint.
Churches, Monasteries and Chapels
- The Holy Monastery of St. Theodore of Korinth
- The Holy Monastery of Hope of the Virgin Mary
- The Holy Monastery of St. Elessa of Kythira