Metropolis of Demetrias and Almyros
|Line 223:||Line 223:|
Revision as of 10:55, March 27, 2008
The Metropolis of Demetrias and Almyros is under the jurisdiction of the Church of Greece and is divided into eight prelatic areas. There are 178 priests and 9 deacons in service. 23 of the priests are monks and 155 priests are married, 3 deacons are monks and 6 are married. Most of the priests have a degree of Theology or the High Ecclesiastical school, the remaining 29 have completed high school and very few are graduates from primary school alone. There are also 3 preachers who do not serve in a parish and there are 12 priests who are pensioners/retired.
The current metropolitan of the Diocese of Demetrias is His Eminence Ignatios (Georgakopoulos). Since 1988 he has been managing the radio-station "Church of Piraeus 91,2 FM" and since 1992 has been hosting the "Arhontariki" for the ET-1 channel every Sunday morning.
- Prelatic Area of Aghia
- Prelatic Area of Aghialos
- Prelatic Area of Almiros
- Prelatic Area of Argalasti
- Prelatic Area of Velestino
- Prelatic Area of Zagora
- Prelatic Area of Kanalia
- Prelatic Area of Kissos
- Prelatic Area of Lafkos
- Prelatic Area of Milies
- Prelatic Area of Sourpi
- Prelatic Area of Pteleos
Near Volos there are four nunneries.
- The Holy Monastery of St. Gerasimos at the village of Makrinitsa
- The Holy Monastery of the Archangels at the village of St. George of Nileia - Information and pictures (in Greek)
- The Holy Monastery of Panagia at St. Vlasios
- The Holy Monastery of St. Lawrence at the village of St. Lawrence.
East of Mt Pelion there are two nunneries.
- The Holy Monastery of the Precious Forerunner at the village of Syki.
- The Holy Monastery of St. Spyridon at the village of Promyrion.
- Holy Monastery of 'Ανω Ξενιάς - Information and pictures (in Greek)
- Holy Monastery of the Taxiarches, Pilio
- Official Website (Greek)