|This article forms part of the series on the |
|Liturgy of the Preparation|
|Liturgy of the Word|
|Great Litany |
Litany of Fervent Supplication
Litany for the Departed
Litany of the Catechumens
|Liturgy of the Eucharist|
|Cherubic Hymn |
Litany of the Completion
|Edit this box|
The Lord's Prayer is the prayer which Christ gave the Church. It is also called the Our Father from the first words of the prayer.
About the prayer
In the early Church, only after baptism and chrismation, was the Lord's Prayer taught to people. Only then, the faithful who have become children of God in Christ and the Holy Spirit dare to pray to God as to their very own Father. The prayer is used in many of the liturgical services, including the Divine Liturgy, in which it is introduced by the Priest, with boldness and without condemnation to dare to call upon the Heavenly God as Father and to say:
The Lord's Prayer is undeniably the most commonly-used prayer in private and corporate settings.
- Πάτερ ἡμῶν, ὁ ἐν τοῖς οὐρανοῖς•
- ἁγιασθήτω τὸ ὄνομά σου,
- ἐλθέτω ἡ βασιλεία σου,,
- γενηθήτω τὸ θέλημά σου, ὡς ἐν οὐρανῷ καὶ ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς.
- Τὸν ἄρτον ἡμῶν τὸν ἐπιούσιον δὸς ἡμῖν σήμερον.
- Καὶ ἄφες ἡμῖν τὰ ὀφειλήματα ἡμῶν,
- ὡς καὶ ἡμεῖς ἀφίεμεν τοῖς ὀφειλέταις ἡμῶν.
- Καὶ μὴ εἰσενέγκῃς ἡμᾶς εἰς πειρασμόν,
- ἀλλὰ ῥῦσαι ἡμᾶς ἀπὸ τοῦ πονηροῦ. 
- Our Father, who art in heaven,
- hallowed be Thy name.
- Thy kingdom come.
- Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
- Give us this day our daily bread;
- and forgive us our trespasses,
- as we forgive those who trespass against us;
- and lead us not into temptation,
- but deliver us from evil. 
- E ko mākou Makua i loko o ka lani,
- E ho‘āno ‘ia Kou inoa.
- E hiki mai Kou aupuni;
- E mālama ‘ia Kou makemake ma ka honua nei,
- E like me ia i mālama ‘ia ma ka lani lā;
- E hā‘awi mai iā mākou i kēia lā i ‘ai na mākou no nēia lā;
- E kala mai ho‘i iā mākou i kā mākou lawehala ‘ana,
- Me mākou e kala nei i ka po‘e i lawehala i kā mākou.
- Mai ho‘oku‘u ‘Oe iā mākou i ka ho‘owalewale ‘ia mai;
- E ho‘opakele nō na‘e iā mākou i ka ino.
- The Official Translation of the Lord's Prayer adopted by the Holy Eparchial Synod of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOARCH)
- "The Privilege to Pray the Lord's Prayer" by the Very Rev. Vladimir Berzonsky (OCA)
- Lord's Prayer at Wikipedia
- The Lord's Prayer in different languages at Wikipedia