List of Orthodox Internet communities
Below is an incomplete list of sites that offer individual opinions and thoughts on Orthodoxy. Many of the following individuals have formed something of an intertextual community, and you are likely to find them linking to many other Orthodox sites or blogs, and many interesting non-Orthodox ones as well.
- Andrew Stephen Damick Antiochian Seminarian
- Angel Standing By - "A blog of Orthodox Christian news, Bible story reflections, lives of the saints, etc."
- Bigger than a Breadbox
- Bishop Seraphim (Sigrist) - Seraphim's LiveJournal
- Chris J. Davis .org
- Doxos by Huw Raphael
- Fr. Matthew Thurman's blog
- Glen Rose Farm - "Notes from a Hillside Farm; being Musings and Observations on Life, Letters, and our Most Holy Faith, by a Lawyer, Sheep-farmer, and Communicant of the Orthodox Church"
- Ancient Church - The blog formerly known as Minor Clergy
- Morning Coffee
- Occidentalis - Dedicated to the Western Rite.
- Orthodox Okie - a pro-Western Rite blog maintained by Oklahoma native Aristobule Adams.
- Orthodixie - "Southern, Orthodox, Convert, Etc."
- OrthodoxyToday Blog - from Fr. Hans Jacobse
- Paradosis - "A handing over, which is done by word of mouth or in writing, i.e. tradition by instruction, narrative, precept, etc."
- Pensate Omnia (Weigh all Things) "Orthodox faith; language and literature; ideas in science, politics, history, art and poetry; whatever I find edifying or fun, these things I hope to write about and explore by posting thoughts, papers, links etc."
- PhilThompson.net "...the online journal of what Phil finds interesting."
- Pleroma "Setting forth and defending the Apostolic Tradition"
- Robert's Cogitations - Congratulations to the newly chrismated!
- Sarisburium - The musings of an Orthodox convert from Great Britain, "Full Faith and Filioque-Free!"
- St. Stephen's Musings by Karl Thienes - "Thoughts and reflections on Eastern Orthodox theology, various philosophical issues, and a variety of social/political events."
- Sunday to Sunday - "an online journal that chronicles my communion with Christ and His church."
- This is Life: Revolutions Around the Cruciform Axis - by Clifton Healy, an "Orthodox wannabe"
- Torrent of Consciousness - "It is what it is."
- Western Orthodoxy - "An Unofficial Blog Dedicated to the Western Rite within the Orthodox Church."
- A Catechumen's Walk - "My thoughts and meditations as I delve into the ancient paths of the Church"
- Saint-Materne Musing on the roots of Orthodox Belgium, 19 centuries Christian. (in french)
- Poscaf online journal of a Belgian Orthodox "paruchia" (in french)
Internet forums are a place for discussion. They allow users to make a "post" about a topic and others to respond.
- The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox, hosted by Christian Forums
- Monachos.net Discussion Community - Online study and discourse of Orthodoxy through patristic and monastic theological heritage.
- St. Andrew House Discussion Forum, hosted by boardhost.com
- Hesychasm forum forum in Russian is moderately active, forum in English is inactive
Electronic Mailing Lists
An electronic mailing lists allows list members to dialog via email. Sometimes the contents of these emails are archived for public view and other times they are not. List members generally have the option to receive the messages one-at-a-time or in a "daily digest" that includes all of the messages for a given time period.
- The Indiana list is one of the oldest and is known for its conservative leanings and feisty discussion.
- OCNet - The Orthodox Christian Network. Orthodox discussion forums available as mailing lists, BBS conferences, newsgroups etc.
In order to join many of these groups they require approval from a Yahoo! member who is the moderator of the group. Yahoo! membership, however, is not a requirement.
- Antiochian Orthodox
- Orthodox Converts - For discussion between people who have converted to Orthodox Christianity or are interested in Orthodoxy. Cradle Orthodox and Clergy are invited to join to offer advice to those members who are young in the faith.
- Orthodox Forum
- Orthodox Jurisdictions
- Orthodox Readers
- Orthodox Re-Forum
- Orthodox Tradition
- Orthodox Without My Spouse - A support group for Orthodox Christians married to someone who isn't.
- Normal Orthodox
- Typikon - A discussion list intended for all kinds of discussion and enquiries regarding the Typikon (its liturgical practice and music, and ramifications thereof) of the canonical Orthodox Church.
- Ustav - "Ustav" facilitates email discussion, questions, commentary and teaching concerning the traditional Orthodox Christian typicon and music. The Russian word "ustav" means typicon, and indicates that discussion will be slanted towards the Russian Orthodox typicon and music, as practiced in the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, but all other traditional usages may also be discussed.
- Western Rite Orthodoxy - "The congregations of the Western Rite Vicariate of the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America proclaim the fullness of the Orthodox Faith while worshipping according to the historic Western Catholic Rites of Rome and England."
- Orthodox Synod (ROCOR)
- The Holy Bible Web Site Channel - This is a Coptic Orthodox discussion list with ecumenical vision and outreach (Main languages: English and Arabic).
- Orthodox-Clergy - The Orthodox-Clergy email list is open to bishops, priests and deacons of all SCOBA jurisdictions, parishes of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, the Patriarchate of Jerusalem, the Moscow Patriarchate and the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia.
- OCA-Clergy - This list is only open to priests and deacons of the Orthodox Church in America
- alt.religion.christian.east-orthodox, a high-traffic group known for its tabloid style, personal attacks, and fierce exchanges
- alt.religion.christian.greek-orthodox, a less active group than .east-orthodox, but tends to be more focused on Orthodox topics
There are sites for developing friendships with Orthodox Christians.
There are several forms of instant messaging available to communicate with others online.
Internet Relay Chat (IRC)
Electronic Mailing Lists
- Orthodox Groups at Yahoo!