Koutloumousiou Monastery (Athos)

From OrthodoxWiki
Revision as of 18:28, November 9, 2009 by Wsk (Talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search
Holy Monastery of Koutloumousiou
Rank or attached monastery Sixth
Type of community Cenobitic Monastery
Founded 1169
Superior unknown
Approx. size 73 monks (1990)
Location Northeast
Liturgical language(s) Greek
Music used Byzantine chant
Feastdays celebrated Transfiguration


The Monastery of Koutloumousiou is one of twenty monasteries on the Mount Athos peninsula and is located on the northeastern side of the peninsula, near Karyes. It is sixth in hierarchical rank among the monasteries.

Contents

History

While the existence of the monastery is confirmed by document from 1169, Koutloumousiou Monastery was founded in its present form in the 14th century. Its central church was built in 1540. It is considered to be one of the most magnificant of all the monasteries of Mount Athos.

The central church was built in 1540, but there are many chapels associated with the monastery. The most impressive of these is the chapel of the Protection of the Mother of God, built in 1733, which is at the left of the eso-narthex of the central church and contains a wonderworking icon of the Mother of God holding Christ as a child. Other chapels include St. Natalia, Ss. Kosmas and Damian, All Saints, St. John the Baptist, the Archangels and St. Spyridon.

At 1990, there were seventy-three monks.

Possessions

Koutloumousiou's library contains 662 manuscript codices and 3500 printed books.

Sketes

The Greek skete of St. Panteleimon belongs to Koutloumousiou, and is very close by.

Saints, Elders and Public Figures

nb. only those with articles are listed
  • Elder Paisios the Athonite, who lived in a cell attached to Koutloumousiou, Panagouda, between 1979-1996.

External links

Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox
In other languages