Karakalou Monastery (Athos)

From OrthodoxWiki
(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(added name of abbot and number of monks)
 
(4 intermediate revisions by 4 users not shown)
Line 11: Line 11:
 
feasts=[[June 29|Sts. Peter and Paul]]|
 
feasts=[[June 29|Sts. Peter and Paul]]|
 
}}
 
}}
The '''Karakalou Monastery''' is situated on the southwest side of the Athos Peninsula in northern Greece, between the monasteries of [[Great Lavra (Athos)|Great Lavra]] and [[Iviron Monastery (Athos)|Iviron]]. Karakalou is dedicated to the [[Apostle]]s Paul and Peter. It is ranked eleventh in the hierarchical order of the twenty monasteries located on the [[Mount Athos]] peninsula.
+
The '''Karakalou Monastery''' (Greek: Καρακάλλου) is situated on the southeast side of the Athos Peninsula in northern Greece, between the monasteries of [[Great Lavra (Athos)|Great Lavra]] and [[Iviron Monastery (Athos)|Iviron]]. Karakalou is dedicated to the [[Apostle]]s Paul and Peter. It is ranked eleventh in the hierarchical order of the twenty monasteries located on the [[Mount Athos]] peninsula.
  
 
==History==
 
==History==
Founded in the eleventh century, the [[monastery]] received its name after either the Roman emperor Karakala or the [[monk]], Karakalas, who was said to be its founder. Karakalou was first mentioned in documents from 1018 and 1087. Built on the side of a mountain Karakalou appears now like a fortress overlooking the Mediterranean Sea, the consequence of having been destroyed twice. In the thirteenth century it was devastated by Latin and pirate raids during the period of occupation by Frankish forces after they had conquered Constantinople in 1204. Then, prior to its rebuilding in the sixteenth century, the monastery was destroyed again by pirates. The emperors Andronic II and John V Paleologos rebuilt Karakalou after the first destruction and after the second raid it was rebuilt by Peter, the ruler of Vlahia, and the rulers of Moldavia. Later, Peter took [[monastic]] vows at Karakalou. In the seventeenth century, Karakalou was given ownership of the dependency of [[Nicholas of Myra|St. Nicholas]] in Ismaelia. Under Ottoman rule the monastery lost its estates to expropriation by the Turks. The monastery also played a role in the struggle by the Greeks for liberation of their homeland from Ottoman rule.
+
Founded in the eleventh century, the [[monastery]] received its name after either the Roman emperor Karakala or the [[monk]], Karakalas, who was said to be its founder. Karakalou was first mentioned in documents from 1018 and 1087. Built on the side of a mountain Karakalou appears now like a fortress overlooking the Mediterranean Sea, the consequence of having been destroyed twice. In the thirteenth century it was devastated by Latin and pirate raids during the period of occupation by Frankish forces after they had conquered Constantinople in 1204. Then, prior to its rebuilding in the sixteenth century, the monastery was destroyed again by pirates. The emperors Andronic II and John V Paleologos rebuilt Karakalou after the first destruction and after the second raid it was rebuilt by Peter, the ruler of Moldavia and his descendants. According to the local athonite tradition, later on, Peter took [[monastic]] vows at Karakalou. In the seventeenth century, Karakalou was given ownership of the dependency of [[Nicholas of Myra|St. Nicholas]] in Ismaelia. Under Ottoman rule the monastery lost its estates to expropriation by the Turks. The monastery also played a role in the struggle by the Greeks for liberation of their homeland from Ottoman rule.
  
 
The main [[church]], the [[katholikon]], was built between 1548 and 1563 in the Athonite style.  The murals were added in 1716, and in 1763 the outer narthex was painted with scenes from the Book of Revelations. The church houses a portable [[icon]] of the Apostles that was painted by Dionysius in the early eighteenth century. There are seven [[chapel]]s within the walls of the monastery. In addition the monastery has eighteen Kellia, four in Karyes and fourteen in the forest southwest of the monastery. The monks of Karakalou have followed the coenobium discipline since 1813.
 
The main [[church]], the [[katholikon]], was built between 1548 and 1563 in the Athonite style.  The murals were added in 1716, and in 1763 the outer narthex was painted with scenes from the Book of Revelations. The church houses a portable [[icon]] of the Apostles that was painted by Dionysius in the early eighteenth century. There are seven [[chapel]]s within the walls of the monastery. In addition the monastery has eighteen Kellia, four in Karyes and fourteen in the forest southwest of the monastery. The monks of Karakalou have followed the coenobium discipline since 1813.
Line 23: Line 23:
 
==External links==
 
==External links==
 
*[http://inathos.gr/athos/en/  Mount Athos]
 
*[http://inathos.gr/athos/en/  Mount Athos]
*[http://hellas.teipir.gr/prefectures/english/AgioOros/Karakalou.htm Karakalou]
+
*[http://hellas.teipir.gr/prefectures/english/AgioOros/Karakalou.htm   Karakallou]
 +
*[http://en.iconskarakallou.gr/  Icons of the Holy Monastery of Karakallou – Official website]
  
 
[[Category:Monasteries]]
 
[[Category:Monasteries]]
Line 29: Line 30:
 
[[Category:Athonite Monasteries]]
 
[[Category:Athonite Monasteries]]
  
 +
[[el:Ιερά Μονή Καρακάλου]]
 
[[fr:Monastère Karakallou (Mont Athos)]]
 
[[fr:Monastère Karakallou (Mont Athos)]]
 
[[ro:Mănăstirea Caracalu (Muntele Athos)]]
 
[[ro:Mănăstirea Caracalu (Muntele Athos)]]

Latest revision as of 13:39, October 21, 2012

Holy Monastery of Karakalou
Rank or attached monastery Eleventh
Type of community Cenobitic Monastery
Founded Eleventh Century by Fr Karakalas
Superior Philotheos
Approx. size 50
Location Southeast
Liturgical language(s) Greek
Music used Byzantine chant
Feastdays celebrated Sts. Peter and Paul

The Karakalou Monastery (Greek: Καρακάλλου) is situated on the southeast side of the Athos Peninsula in northern Greece, between the monasteries of Great Lavra and Iviron. Karakalou is dedicated to the Apostles Paul and Peter. It is ranked eleventh in the hierarchical order of the twenty monasteries located on the Mount Athos peninsula.

History

Founded in the eleventh century, the monastery received its name after either the Roman emperor Karakala or the monk, Karakalas, who was said to be its founder. Karakalou was first mentioned in documents from 1018 and 1087. Built on the side of a mountain Karakalou appears now like a fortress overlooking the Mediterranean Sea, the consequence of having been destroyed twice. In the thirteenth century it was devastated by Latin and pirate raids during the period of occupation by Frankish forces after they had conquered Constantinople in 1204. Then, prior to its rebuilding in the sixteenth century, the monastery was destroyed again by pirates. The emperors Andronic II and John V Paleologos rebuilt Karakalou after the first destruction and after the second raid it was rebuilt by Peter, the ruler of Moldavia and his descendants. According to the local athonite tradition, later on, Peter took monastic vows at Karakalou. In the seventeenth century, Karakalou was given ownership of the dependency of St. Nicholas in Ismaelia. Under Ottoman rule the monastery lost its estates to expropriation by the Turks. The monastery also played a role in the struggle by the Greeks for liberation of their homeland from Ottoman rule.

The main church, the katholikon, was built between 1548 and 1563 in the Athonite style. The murals were added in 1716, and in 1763 the outer narthex was painted with scenes from the Book of Revelations. The church houses a portable icon of the Apostles that was painted by Dionysius in the early eighteenth century. There are seven chapels within the walls of the monastery. In addition the monastery has eighteen Kellia, four in Karyes and fourteen in the forest southwest of the monastery. The monks of Karakalou have followed the coenobium discipline since 1813.

Treasury

In its treasury, Karakalou, among many vestments, ecclesiastical vessels, and relics of saints, possesses portable icons of Ss. Peter and Paul and the Circumcision of Christ, and a piece of the Holy Cross. The library contains 279 manuscripts, including 42 on parchment, some 2,500 printed books, and many official documents.

External links

Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox
In other languages