John the Russian
Monastery of St. John the Russian (Euboea)
The relics were brought to Euboea by refugees from Ürgüp (known to the Greeks as Prokopio), in Cappadocia, after the Asia Minor Disaster of 1922-24. For several decades the relics were in the church of Ss. Constantine and Helen at New Prokopion, Euboia, and in 1951 they were transferred to a new church dedicated to St John the Russian (within the new Monastery of Saint John the Russian). Thousands of pilgrims flock here from all the corners of Greece, particularly on his feast day (May 27).
St. John the Russian is widely venerated on Mount Athos, particularly in the Russian monastery of St. Panteleimon.