John of Kronstadt
He was born as Ivan Ilyich Sergiyev in 1829. From 1855, he served as a priest in St. Andrew's cathedral in Kronstadt. Here, he greatly committed himself to charity, especially for those who were remote from the church, and traveled extensively throughout the Russian empire. He was a member of the right extremist movement Sojuz Russkogo Naroda (Alliance of the Russian people) but did not commit himself politically. He was already greatly venerated at the time he died. He was glorified by the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia in 1964 and by the Russian Orthodox Church on June 8, 1990. The second largest monastery in St. Petersburg (by community size) is dedicated to St. John of Kronstadt.
"There is nothing impossible unto those who believe; lively and unshaken faith can accomplish great miracles in the twinkling of an eye. Besides, even without our sincere and firm faith, miracles are accomplished, such as the miracles of the sacraments; for God's Mystery is always accomplished, even though we were incredulous or unbelieving at the time of its celebration. "Shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?" (Rom. 3:3). Our wickedness shall not overpower the unspeakable goodness and mercy of God; our dullness shall not overpower God's wisdom, nor our infirmity God's omnipotence." — My Life in Christ
"The enemy of our salvation especially strives to draw our heart and mind away from God when we are about to serve Him, and endeavours to adulterously attach our heart to something irrelevant. Be always, every moment, with God, especially when you pray to Him. If you are inconstant, you will fall away from life, and will cast yourself into sorrow and straitness."
- As a zealous advocate of the Orthodox faith,
- As a caring Solicitor for the land of Russia,
- Faithful to the rules and image of a pastor,
- Preaching repentance and life in Christ,
- An awesome servant and administer of God's sacraments,
- A daring intercessor for people's sake,
- O Good and righteous Father John,
- Healer and wonderful miracle-worker,
- The praise of the town of Kronstadt
- And decoration of our Church,
- Beseech the All-Merciful God
- To reconcile the world and to save our souls!
Troparion (Tone 4)
- With the apostles your message has gone out to the ends of the world,
- And with the confessors you suffered for Christ!
- You are like the hierarchs through your preaching of the word;
- With the righteous you are radiant with the grace of God.
- The Lord has exalted your humility above the heavens
- And given us your name as a source of miracles.
- O wonder-worker, living in Christ for ever,
- Have mercy on those beset by troubles;
- And hear us when we cry out in faith, O our beloved shepherd John!
Kontakion (Tone 3)
- This day the pastor of Kronstadt
- Appears before the throne of God
- Praying fervently on behalf of the faithful
- To the chief pastor Christ, who has promised:
- "I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it!"