|Line 1:||Line 1:|
Fr. Dr. '''John Chryssavgis''' is a [[priest]] in the [[Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
Fr. Dr. '''John Chryssavgis''' is a [[priest]] in the [[Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Americaand who serves on the Steering Committee of [[Orthodox Fellowship of the Transfiguration|The Orthodox Fellowship of the Transfiguration]] and as theological advisor to the [[Ecumenical Patriarch]] on environmental issues.
Revision as of 10:17, December 14, 2008
Fr. Dr. John Chryssavgis is a priest in the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America and who serves on the Steering Committee of The Orthodox Fellowship of the Transfiguration and as theological advisor to the Ecumenical Patriarch on environmental issues.
Born in Australia (1958), he matriculated from The Scots College (1975), received his degree in Theology from the University of Athens (1980), a diploma in Byzantine Music from the Greek Conservatory of Music (1979), and was awarded a research scholarship to St. Vladimir’s Theological Seminary (1982). He completed his doctoral studies in Patristics at the University of Oxford (1983).
After several months in silent retreat on Mount Athos, he served as Personal Assistant to the Greek Orthodox Primate in Australia (1984-94) and was co-founder of St Andrew’s Theological College in Sydney (1985), where he was Sub-Dean and taught Patristics and Church History (1986-95). He also served as Lecturer in the Divinity School (1986-90), in the School of Studies in Religion (1990-95) at the University of Sydney, and in Patristics at Balamand University in Lebanon.
Fr. John moved to Boston in 1995, where he was appointed Professor of Theology at Holy Cross School of Theology, directed the Religious Studies Program at Hellenic College until 2002, and established the Environment Office there in 2001. In May 2008, he delivered the 8th Annual SS. Cyril and Methodius Lecture at St. Paul’s Seminary in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. His lecture, “Remembering Sacred Silence”, touched on the subtle variations of solitude, silence and stillness in the letters of Barsanuphius and John.
He is the author of numerous books and articles in several languages on the Church Fathers and Orthodox spirituality.
- Beyond the Shattered Image: Insights into an Orthodox Christian Ecological Worldview (revised ed., 2007). ISBN (1999 ed., ISBN 978-1880971420)
- Cosmic Grace, Humble Prayer: The Ecological Vision of the Green Patriarch Bartholomew I (revised ed., 2009). ISBN 978-0802862617.
- In the Heart of the Desert: The Spirituality of the Desert Fathers and Mothers (revised ed., 2008). ISBN 978-1933316567. (2005 ed., ISBN 978-0941532518).
- John Climacus: From the Egyptian Desert to the Sinaite Mountain (2004). ISBN 978-0754650409.
- Light Through Darkness: The Orthodox Tradition (2004). ISBN 978-1570755484.
- Love, Sexuality, and the Sacrament of Marriage (2005). ISBN 978-1885652034.
- Repentance and Confession in the Orthodox Church (1990). ISBN 978-0917651564.
- Soul Mending (2005). ISBN 978-1885652478.
Beyond the Shattered Image review by Vincent Rossi