John (Ziobin) of Alaska
m (category error)
|Line 15:||Line 15:|
Revision as of 17:22, September 14, 2011
His Grace the Most Reverend John (Ziobin) of Alaska was a hierarch of the Russian Metropolia and Bishop of Alaska during the mid-twentieth century.
Little is known of his life. In the 1920s, Fr. John was a parish priest. In the late1920s, he was the priest with an Orthodox community in Portland, Oregon when the community acquired a church building on NE Mallory Avenue from the German Brethren Congregation. During his pastorate this church was renovated as the parish church and was dedicated to St. Nicholas the Wonderworker.
From 1927 to 1933, Archimandrite John served as the first permanent priest of the Church of the Holy Myrrhbearing Women parish in West Sacramento, California.
During the mid 1940s when the Russian Metropolia and Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia recognized each other, Archimandrite John was nominated late in 1945 and, with the concurrence of ROCOR hierarchy, was consecrated the Bishop of Alaska on March 10, 1946.
Subsequently, Bp. John retired in 1952 and reposed on May 28, 1958.