Holy Trinity St. Seraphim-Diveyevo Convent

From OrthodoxWiki
Revision as of 14:05, January 16, 2007 by Angellight 888 (Talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search

History

File:DIVEYEVO3.JPG
Holy Trinity St. Seraphim-Diveyevo Convent: Beginning of the Holy Ditch

The History of the Holy Trinity St. Seraphim-Diveyevo Convent began in 1760 when the Mother of God appeared to nun Alexandra in a dream at the village of Diveyevo and promised to base a great and unrivalled Convent there. The Most Holy Mother of God has chosen Diveyevo to be Her favourite place - the Fouth and last Dower on the Earth. She also promised to gather there the mercy and the grace of the Lord from all her previous Dowers:

1) Iberia (Georgia)

2) Mount Athos (Greece),

3) Holy Trinity Lavra of the Caves (Ukraine, Kiev).

On that very spot where the Holy Virgin appeared, nun Alexandra has built the church dedicated to the Icon of Kazan of the Mother of God (1773-1780). Later on two Nativity Churches were adjoined. They were the Church of the Nativity of Christ (1829) and the Church of the Nativity of the Mother of God (1830), which is a Burial Vault for the present as Father Seraphim foretold.

In the centre of the Convent there are two magnificent Cathedrals: the impressive five-domed Catherdral of the Holy Trinity (1865-1875) and the Cathedral of the Transfiguration of the Lord (1907-1916).

File:DIVEYEVO1.JPG
Cathedral of the Holy Trinity & Cathedral of the Transfiguration of the Lord

At the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th centuries there were built the Convent's Bell Tower, the Hegumenia's Hall with the Church of St. Mary Magdalene and the Refectory Hall with the Church of St. Alexander Nevsky.




In 1830 Father Seraphim asked Diveyevo's nuns to dig the Holy Ditch, which would surround the elected place of the Mother of God. Father Seraphim said:

File:DIVEYEVO2.JPG
The Holy Ditch (Kanavka).

"He who walks along the Holy Ditch praying "Rejoice, O Mother of God and Maiden Mary..." 150 times, for him this place will be Athos, Jerusalem, and Kiev."

By now the Diveyevo ascetics Saints Alexandra, Martha, Helen and Saints Blessed Pelagia, Paraskeva, Mary are canonized. Their Holy relics as well as the Holy relics of St. Seraphim of Sarov are resting in God in the Conventual Churches.

Saint Seraphim the Wonderworker of Sarov predicted that Diveyevo would become a stronghold of Orthodoxy and a place where worldwide repentance would begin from.

In 2003 the Russian Orthodox Church solemnly celebrated a centenary of the glorification of St. Seraphim. The next year it was celebrated the 250th anniversary of his birth. Diveyevo's Convent is becoming a turning point in the spiritual life of Russia.

The Holy Trinity St. Seraphim-Diveyevo Convent is close to the heart of every Orthodox Christian.


Primary Source

Holy Trinity St.Seraphim-Diveyevo Convent, postcard set, 2004.

Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox