Holy Monastery of the Life-giving Fount (Poros, Greece)

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
m (add link)
m
Line 1: Line 1:
The '''Holy Monastery of the Life-giving Fount''' is an attractive 18th-century monastery that is found in Kalavria, 4km east of the main city on Poros island, Greece; built around the island's only spring. It was founded in 1720 AD by the Archbishop Iakovos II of Athens.
+
The '''Holy Monastery of the Life-giving Fount''' is an attractive 18th-century [[monastery]] at Kalavria, 4km east of the main city on Poros island, in Greece. It was founded in 1720 AD by His Grace [[Archbishop]] [[Iakovos II of Athens]] (1713-1734) around the island's only spring.
 
+
{{style}}
+
  
 
==History==
 
==History==
Archbishop Iakovos, suffering from lithiasis, was miraculously cured after drinking from the holy water springing near the [[monastery]].
+
The monastery was founded by Archbishop Iakovos, suffering from lithiasis, was miraculously cured after drinking from the holy water springing near the [[monastery]].
  
 
In 1733, [[Paisius II of Constantinople]] (1744-1748) recognised the monastery under the [[jurisdiction]] of [[Constantinople]]. The act gives it a lot of privileges. In 1798, [[Gregory V of Constantinople]] (1797-1798), ratified Paisios's second document relating to the priveleges of the monastery, with a [[sigillion]]  (officially sealed document), kept in the quest quarters (Archondariki) of the monastery.<ref> [http://www.poros.com.gr/monastery/?lang=en Poros Island] </ref>
 
In 1733, [[Paisius II of Constantinople]] (1744-1748) recognised the monastery under the [[jurisdiction]] of [[Constantinople]]. The act gives it a lot of privileges. In 1798, [[Gregory V of Constantinople]] (1797-1798), ratified Paisios's second document relating to the priveleges of the monastery, with a [[sigillion]]  (officially sealed document), kept in the quest quarters (Archondariki) of the monastery.<ref> [http://www.poros.com.gr/monastery/?lang=en Poros Island] </ref>

Revision as of 21:54, May 22, 2008

The Holy Monastery of the Life-giving Fount is an attractive 18th-century monastery at Kalavria, 4km east of the main city on Poros island, in Greece. It was founded in 1720 AD by His Grace Archbishop Iakovos II of Athens (1713-1734) around the island's only spring.

History

The monastery was founded by Archbishop Iakovos, suffering from lithiasis, was miraculously cured after drinking from the holy water springing near the monastery.

In 1733, Paisius II of Constantinople (1744-1748) recognised the monastery under the jurisdiction of Constantinople. The act gives it a lot of privileges. In 1798, Gregory V of Constantinople (1797-1798), ratified Paisios's second document relating to the priveleges of the monastery, with a sigillion (officially sealed document), kept in the quest quarters (Archondariki) of the monastery.[1]

See also

References

  1. Poros Island
Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox