Holy Monastery of the Life-giving Fount (Poros, Greece)

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(cats, style tag)
m (Style Manual conforms #1)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
{{style}}
 
{{style}}
  
The old historical '''Holy Monastery of Zoodochos Pigi of Poros''' is located 4km east of the main city of Poros island and is built on the slope of a pine forest.  
+
The '''Holy Monastery of the Life-giving Fount''' (founded in 1720) 4km east of the main city of Poros island in Greece by the Archbishop Iakovos II of Athens.
  
It was founded in 1720 a.d. by the Archbishop of Athens Iakovos (Jacob) the 2nd, who, suffering from lithiasis, was miraculously cured, after drinking from the holy water springing near the Holy Monastery.
+
==History==
 +
Archbishop Iakovos, suffering from lithiasis, was miraculously cured after drinking from the holy water springing near the [[monastery]].
  
In 1733 a.d. the Patriarch of Constantinopolis Paisios the 2nd recognises it as a monastery under the Patriarch's jurisdiction. The act gives it a lot of privileges.
+
In 1733 the Patriarch of Constantinopolis Paisios the 2nd recognises it as a monastery under the Patriarch's jurisdiction. The act gives it a lot of privileges.
  
 
Later on, in 1798 a.d., Patriarch Grigorios (Gregory) the 5th, with a sigillion (officially sealed document), which is safely kept in the quest quarters (Archondariki) of the Holy Monastery, ratifies the Patriarch Paisios's the 2nd document, related to the privileges of the Monastery.<ref> [http://www.poros.com.gr/monastery/?lang=en Poros Island] </ref>
 
Later on, in 1798 a.d., Patriarch Grigorios (Gregory) the 5th, with a sigillion (officially sealed document), which is safely kept in the quest quarters (Archondariki) of the Holy Monastery, ratifies the Patriarch Paisios's the 2nd document, related to the privileges of the Monastery.<ref> [http://www.poros.com.gr/monastery/?lang=en Poros Island] </ref>

Revision as of 18:22, February 19, 2008

This article or section needs to be rewritten to conform to standard encyclopedic style. Specific recommendations may be found on the talk page. You can help OrthodoxWiki by editing it.


The Holy Monastery of the Life-giving Fount (founded in 1720) 4km east of the main city of Poros island in Greece by the Archbishop Iakovos II of Athens.

History

Archbishop Iakovos, suffering from lithiasis, was miraculously cured after drinking from the holy water springing near the monastery.

In 1733 the Patriarch of Constantinopolis Paisios the 2nd recognises it as a monastery under the Patriarch's jurisdiction. The act gives it a lot of privileges.

Later on, in 1798 a.d., Patriarch Grigorios (Gregory) the 5th, with a sigillion (officially sealed document), which is safely kept in the quest quarters (Archondariki) of the Holy Monastery, ratifies the Patriarch Paisios's the 2nd document, related to the privileges of the Monastery.[1]

References

  1. Poros Island
Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox