Holy Dormition Convent (Nanuet, New York)

From OrthodoxWiki
Revision as of 20:08, March 2, 2013 by Mishakaz (Talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Holy Dormition Convent
Jurisdiction ROCOR
Type Female Monastery
Founded 1949
Superior Abbess Irina‎
Approx. size 4 monastics
Location Nanuet, New York
Liturgical language(s) Slavonic
Music used Russian Chant
Calendar Julian
Feastdays celebrated Dormition
Official website Official Website

Holy Dormition Stavropegial Convent, also known as "Novo-Diveevo", is a female monastic community in the jurisdiction of the Synod of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad, located in Nanuet, New York. It is home to the largest cemetery in the Russian Diaspora, and also operates the ROC Old Peoples Home (OPH).

This article forms part of the series
Orthodoxy in America
Orthodox us.gif
History
American Orthodox Timeline
American Orthodox Bibliography
Byzantines on OCA autocephaly
Ligonier Meeting
ROCOR and OCA
People
Saints - Bishops - Writers
Jurisdictions
Antiochian - Bulgarian
OCA - Romanian - Moscow
ROCOR - Serbian

Ecumenical Patriarchate:
Albanian - Carpatho-Russian
Belarusian - Greek - Ukrainian
Palestinian/Jordanian

Monasteries
Seminaries
Christ the Saviour
Holy Cross
Holy Trinity
St. Herman's
St. Tikhon's
St. Sava's
St. Sophia's
St. Vladimir's
Organizations
Episcopal Assembly
AOI - EOCS - IOCC - OCEC
OCF - OCL - OCMC - OCPM - OCLife
OISM - OTSA - SCOBA - SOCHA
Groups
Amer. Orthodox Catholic Church
Brotherhood of St. Moses the Black
Evangelical Orthodox Church
Holy Order of MANS/CSB
Society of Clerks Secular of St. Basil
Edit this box

History

The founder of the convent was Archbishop Andrei of Rockland, then Protopresbyter Adrian Rimarenko (starets Nektarii of Optina died under his epitrachelion). In 1949, with the arrival in America of a multitude of refugees, ROCOR’s First Hierarch Metropolitan Anastasy entrusted Fr. Adrian to build a spiritual center. A former Roman Catholic monastery was purchased and a Russian convent was founded. There are two churches on the property; the “small church” as it is known is named in honor of the Dormition. The main church was built in honor of St. Seraphim of Sarov. The convent is home to the largest Russian Orthodox cemetery in the Diaspora. An Old Age Home is also operated by the convent. The convent has many sacred items including: a full-length portrait of St. Seraphim of Sarov painted during his lifetime, a cross from the Ipatiev House, and the “Vladimir” icon of the Holy Theotokos that belonged to St. Amvrosii of Optina.

Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox