Holy Cross Monastery (Niagara Falls, New York)
Holy Cross Orthodox Monastery is a monastery of the Diocese of Washington and New York (OCA) located in Niagara Falls, New York. It was established in the year 2005 by Archimandrite Nicholas (Iuhos), with the blessing of Metropolitan Herman (Swaiko), built in the former Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church (est. 1951).
Plans for the monastery include the organization of special spiritual retreats and lectures for those who are interested in learning more about the Orthodox faith, spirituality, the Church Fathers, and much more.
The monastery property consists of about 3 1/2 acres of land, including a brownstone church, a rectory, a garage, and a separate building which has three apartments upstairs, a hall, a kitchen, a future library and a basement.
The main building needs capital repairs, a new roof, new windows, new electrical wiring, and new heating and air conditioning system. Once restored, it is in this building that the monastic community will live.
The monastery plans to bring English speaking monks will soon be brought from Eastern Europe to begin the monastic life and hopes to attract other interested candidates from the US and Canada.
The monastery plans to build a small pierogi factory to provide itself income, some of which will be used to help needy families of military personnel and set up scholarships for their children. A project to build a shrine dedicated to the Holy Cross in memory of American servicemen and women is also planned.