Hermitage of the Holy Cross (Wayne, West Virginia)
m (Holy Cross Skete (Wayne, West Virginia) moved to Hermitage of the Holy Cross (Wayne, West Virginia): correcting name)
Revision as of 12:55, December 11, 2008
The community was founded in September 1986 by Hieromonk Kallistos as an English-language dependancy on Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville. It presently holds 16 monks, all converts.
The community consists of men living the monastic tradition of a Christ-centered prayer life for the monastic members. To support the community the monks, by hand, write icons and make soap, incense, icon shelves, prayer desks and other liturgical items.
|Holy Cross Skete|
|Superior||Bishop George of Mayfield, spiritual father|
|Location||Wayne, West Virginia|
|Music used||Russian Chant|
|Feastdays celebrated||14/27 Sep|
|Official website||Official Website|
- 1986 Sep: Holy Cross Hermitage founded by Hieromonk Kallistos in House Springs, Missouri.
- 1992: Hieromonk Kallistos reposes.
- 1999: Brotherhood has doubled in size since founding; all cells are filled. Monastery could not expand due to surrounding city development.
- Summer: Surrounding city development solves its own problem for the monastery, with authorities requiring a major highway to go through the monastery. An alternate piece of land is offered in West Virginia.
- 2000 May 25: Move to Wayne, West Virginia, accomplished.
- 2005: Igumen George, spiritual father of hermitage, elevated to Archimandrite.
- 3:30am: Arise
- 4:00am: Midnight Office, Matins, First Hour, Third Hour, Sixth Hour, Divine Liturgy.
- 7:00am: Quiet time (for prayer rule or spiritual reading)
- 8:00am: Breakfast
- 8:30am: Morning work period
- Noon: Lunch
- 1:30pm: Afternoon work period
- 5:00pm: Ninth Hour, Vespers.
- 5:45pm: Supper
- 6:00pm: Compline