Feeds produced by OrthodoxWiki
There are many different feeds produced by OrthodoxWiki. At this point, some are autodetected by most browsers (not Internet Explorer 6 though), while others can be seen in the sidebar.
Standard feeds include:
- Recent Changes: RSS and Atom
- New pages: RSS and Atom
- Many other Special pages also have newsfeeds available (e.g. "popular pages", "users", "wanted pages", etc.). These will appear in the sidebar. They're a great way to keep up with what's happening on this site.
In addition to these, we've hacked OrthodoxWiki to be able to display a list recent updates in a particular Category. If you're using a "modern" browser, these will appear in the address bar when you click on the "RSS" button. If you're using Internet Explorer 6 or earlier, you'll have to manage these manually by adding either "&feed=rss" or "&feed=atom" to the end of a Category:Page URL. (I'm happy to say that RSS autodetection is being implemented in IE 7.)
Using feeds from other sites
This extension can parse most popular kinds of RSS / RDF and Atom feeds.
The simplest usage is: <rss>http://examplesite.com/rss.xml</rss>
Optional parameters can be also be added in between the <rss> and </rss> tags. They should be separated by a pipe (|), just like in links and templates.
Supported parameters include:
- charset=... The charset used by the feed. iconv is used to convert this.
- short Do not show the description text for each news item.
- max=x Shows x most recent headlines.
- highlight= term1 term2 The terms separated by a space are highlighted.
- filter= term1 term2 Show only rss items containing at least one of the terms.
- reverse display the rss items in reverse order
A fuller example therefore might be:
Guidelines for Use
External RSS feeds should be used sparingly. Appropriate content includes:
- News from Orthodox sources or tailored for an Orthodox audience.
- Parish news, and local Orthodox events notice boards.
All pages with external feeds should be added to [[Category:Newsfeeds]].
External feeds are licensed by their distributors, and not subject in any way to the OrthodoxWiki copyright.
Articles are placed in this category when they use feeds from other sites.
- - a list of all pages about newsfeeds and all pages incorporating external newsfeeds on OrthodoxWiki