Great Lent is the period of preparation leading up to Holy Week and Pascha. The divine services of Great Lent are governed by the Lenten Triodion that also govern the services of the Weeks of Preparation that proceeds Great Lent.
Structure of Great Lent
- Monday following Forgiveness Sunday (also called Cheesefare Sunday)
- 1. Sunday of Orthodoxy (John 1:43-51),
- 2. Sunday of St. Gregory Palamas,
- 3. Sunday of the Holy Cross,
- 4. Sunday of St. John Climacus, and
- 5. Sunday of St. Mary of Egypt.