Entrance of the Theotokos
According to Tradition, the Virgin Mary was taken —presented—by her parents Joachim and Anna into the Jewish Temple in Jerusalem as a young girl, where she lived and served as a Temple virgin until her betrothal to St. Joseph. One of the earliest sources of this tradition is the non-canonical Protoevangelion of James, also called the Infancy Gospel of James.
- Today is the preview of the good will of God,
- of the preaching of the salvation of mankind.
- The Virgin appears in the temple of God,
- in anticipation proclaiming Christ to all.
- Let us rejoice and sing to her: Rejoice,
- 0 Divine Fulfillment of the Creator's dispensation.
Kontakion (Tone 4)
- The most pure Temple of the Savior;
- the precious Chamber and Virgin;
- the sacred Treasure of the glory of God,
- is presented today to the house of the Lord.
- She brings with her the grace of the Spirit,
- therefore, the angels of God praise her:
- "Truly this woman is the abode of heaven."
- The Entry of the Most Holy Mother of God into the Temple - OCA web site
- Entrance of the Theotokos to the Temple - The Orthodox Faith by Fr. Thomas Hopko
- The Feast of the Entrance into the Temple of Our Most Holy Lady the Theotokos - GOARCH web site
- Icons of The Presentation of the Most Holy Theotokos